Frontier stove - flue guard

Apr 30, 2013
Worcester
Just joined the forum & wondering if anyone can help? We've just bought a tentipi zirkon 5cp and a frontier stove, and are wondering about the best way to make a heat shield for the flue where it exits at the top. Does anyone have a tried&tested solution that doesn't involve welding?
Thanks to anyone who can help!
Ian.

Jun 18, 2013
United Kingdom
I myself have the same question as just purchased a 2nd hand safir cp9 and new frontier stove + 3 flue extensions. I have seen some that have crafted it from perforated metal and then bolted the long edge together and folded the ends down to the size of the original flue to make a partially closed of cylinder (if that make sense). I have taken a look at images of the tentipi stove they make and they hang their shield from the top of the flue on chain rather than bolt it in place.

However my (crazy) thought is can a welders blanket be wrapped around in the correct place as all you are trying to do is stop it burning the tent. Found places around ebay etc that are cheap so could always be a possiblity.

Maybe someone will post a tell me this is stupid idea, if they do I will be making mine this weekend out of perforated sheet so will keep you updated.

PS Have you thought about a spark arrestor for the top, wire bird feeder apparently works well.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Hi guys

I made one for my Frontier a while back.

I used aluminium sheets, bolts, wire mesh, Jubilee clips. Around the flue I wrapped a fire blanket and an exhaust wrap.

Here is it in operation

DSC02463.jpg

A space is created by the bolts between the flue and the guard. The strip of cloth was to check for heat and charring.

IMAG0155.jpg

A wire mesh makes the spark arrestor and a cap to stop rain coming down. I initially wrapped the flue with a fire blanket then added high grade exhaust wrap.

IMAG0159.jpg

A slideshow is here.

http://s219.photobucket.com/user/seorasgma/slideshow/Stove%20Flue?sort=3

Cheers

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE