Frontier Bushcraft Intermediate Wilderness Course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
I'm looking to do some more learning this year, having done the Woodlander with Wild Human (formerly Woodsmoke) last year.

Frontier Bushcraft's dates work well for me, so I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of their teaching (or specifically that course), or any recommendations for other intermediate courses before I push the button.

The Journeyman from Woodlore also sounds good, but they only have a 'Ray' option which, while very tempting, is eye-wateringly expensive.

Thanks all.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I too have been looking at the journey man course with woodlore.... agreed the price is a lot a £1000 more. Personally I would only look at woodlore courses, as I feel the learning is at a high level.

Reactions: Foogs

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've been on a number of courses with Paul Kirtley when he was the head instructor at Woodlore as well as several private courses with him when he left to start Frontier Bushcraft.

Paul's reputation as one of the leading bushcraft instructors is well deserved and you'll get an extremely high level of training with him.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I've been on a number of courses with Paul Kirtley when he was the head instructor at Woodlore as well as several private courses with him when he left to start Frontier Bushcraft.

Paul's reputation as one of the leading bushcraft instructors is well deserved and you'll get an extremely high level of training with him.
Don't get me wrong here, I have gone to both. For me the teaching style I prefer at woodlore.... although Ray can be a little mean sometimes.... you'll learn without question...he wants you to survive.

I prefer Keith Whitehead as an instructor at Woodlore, he used to be keystage 1 and 2 teacher, so his approach is more encouraging....it has been a while....I hope Keith is still there? I just checked he is not.... sadly

Callum Hilder is very good too

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I’ve done both - I did the Journeyman with Paul Kirtley in 2007 (when he was with Woodlore) then when Paul set up Frontier I did the Frontier Intermediate course. One of the reasons Paul left Woodlore was he wasn’t given the freedom to create new courses. He created the Intermediate course (which Woodlore copied later). The Intermediate course is a really great course and a natural progression from the generic basic course syllabus that most Bushcraft companies offer. It’s not an easy course, you have to work hard for the more advanced skills sets taught. I think I would look at the syllabus and if it meets what you want to learn then book a place. The quality of set up and instruction will be very good.

Reactions: bobnewboy and Foogs

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
Thanks you for the replies.

I've taken the plunge and signed onto the Intermediate course with Frontier.

While I was taken with bushcraft fever, I enquired about the Journeyman with Ray as well. One of their prerequisites is that you've done Woodlore's fundamental course. I've asked if having done a comparable course is acceptable and the question is being run up the ladder.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I too have been looking at the journey man course with woodlore.... agreed the price is a lot a £1000 more. Personally I would only look at woodlore courses, as I feel the learning is at a high level.
I think that many of the courses available are run by ex Woodlore instructors which makes me wonder how much more you get from a Woodlore course. Obviously if you have RM instructing personally there’s a definite bonus at a price.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I think that many of the courses available are run by ex Woodlore instructors which makes me wonder how much more you get from a Woodlore course. Obviously if you have RM instructing personally there’s a definite bonus at a price.
You don't get Ray instructing on many courses. I did the Basic, Campcraft, Intermediate and Journeyman with Woodlore and only saw him on the Journeyman.

Even then he he didn't really do much in the way of instructing, instead he spent his time fishing and deer stalking.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
You don't get Ray instructing on many courses. I did the Basic, Campcraft, Intermediate and Journeyman with Woodlore and only saw him on the Journeyman.

Even then he he didn't really do much in the way of instructing, instead he spent his time fishing and deer stalking.

I’m intrigued to see how involved he is at the “weekend in the woods with ray mears” they’re running for the bushcraft magazine.

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK

Was this back in the day when Ray was still a regular instructor, or more recent years when having Ray is a paid extra?

If I was to pay £1k extra for the 'Ray version' of a course, I'd be a little miffed if that was just to watch him go fishing.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Was this back in the day when Ray was still a regular instructor, or more recent years when having Ray is a paid extra?

If I was to pay £1k extra for the 'Ray version' of a course, I'd be a little miffed if that was just to watch him go fishing.
I did my Journeyman in 2010 I think and it was a straight fee for the course. We'd been told Ray always attends the Journeyman courses but does minimal instructing on them leaving that to the more senior instructors which is what happened on my course.

My understanding is if Ray is listed as an instructor and you pay the premium price then he leads the training and is involved every day.

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
I did my Journeyman in 2010 I think and it was a straight fee for the course. We'd been told Ray always attends the Journeyman courses but does minimal instructing on them leaving that to the more senior instructors which is what happened on my course.

My understanding is if Ray is listed as an instructor and you pay the premium price then he leads the training and is involved every day.
That was my understanding, thanks for confirming.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE