From sofa to bucksaw

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I started to brake up our old sofa the other day and the main frame was made of 2"x1" beech :) I thought just the right size to use to have a go at making a folding Bucksaw some thing I have been wanting to make for some time here are a few photos of my first attempt at making one .

Sofa wood supply
th_sofa.jpg

The made up Bucksaw
th_saw2.jpg

th_saw3.jpg

The Bucksaw folded down
th_saw1.jpg

It took me about a day to make just using hand tools all I have do now is finish of by sealing it with some boiled linseed oil I will post a photo of it when its been sealed.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I have given it a test and it works well the blade is held nice and tight.
It takes a 24" blade working size 25" x12" from bar to blade 6" pack down size 25" x 2" x 2" I based it on the woodlore folding bucksaw but this one only cost £1.98 for the brass bolts and blade.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi Nodd, that looks very good, made me one from an old front door and used gutter bolts, all it cost was the blade and not HOW MUCH.
Topknot

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
To me that's REAL Bushcraft. I don't mean some sort of crusade not to spend money, but making something that's just as good from "wombled materials".

Great work

I feel the spirit coming back on this site at the moment :)

Red

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Great worksmanship, an inspiration for me to get off my butt and get started. I been looking for the right wood for some time now. Got the blade and am ready to get started. Thanks for the push.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Great worksmanship, an inspiration for me to get off my butt and get started..

sorta like, 'from sofa to bucksaw'?:lmao:

Fantastic nodd, really like this thread, thanks for posting. I,,,I,,,I think I'm coming down with the bucksaw fever, can you catch that from the internet?...

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Thank you all for your comments, Bravo4 I think feaver could be catching, I still have a bit more timber I can get out of the sofa I just have to think of another project for it.:)

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Once again thank you all for your comments,I have a bit more wood I can wombel :) I think I might make another saw and a couple of beech spoons to go with these ones I made a while ago from a branch apple tree I had.

Spoons.jpg

applicationform092.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE