From ember till fire - help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
So here is a video of me practicing flint and steel fire , I didn't have this problem in first 5 or so attempts , but now I have problems lighting ember in this tinder bundle/ jute twine I was not able to start it a few times and here you see I also have problems starting , I had the same problem with bowdrill ember , I used it on jute twine bundle and also natural tinder found in the woods.
Can you help me , what am I doing wrong ?

[video=youtube;Hy2beoADV00]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy2beoADV00[/video]

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Gcckoka,

If you have succeeded already, then there is not a whole lot wrong with your technique.

- however -

Your tinder bundle looks slightly on the small side, so that by the time you achieve a flame, there is not much left to actually burn.

As to the ignition issue -

I find with stubborn tinder's, it helps if I "puff" rather than "blow" in one long stream - by which I mean several short blows with short pauses in between. I also try to combine a number of tinder types in one bundle, so that I have a greater chance of ignition over a wider range of environmental conditions.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Just kidding, I think you may have packed the twine to tight, you had it almost going there bro, but then you folded it over and looked like maybe you folded it just a bit too tight...

It could be the twine is not as dry as it looks... there was a fair bit of smoke , that usually indicates moisture...
Keep going , try different materials and dry that jute a bit more and keep it loose...
Your nearly there...
Well done bud

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
One problem with a 'small' tinder bundle (especially if bundled tight) is you more or less have to hold it very close to your mouth and you breath quite a lot of moisture onto/into it, might be worth trying to hold a slightly larger, looser bundle a bit further from your mouth and as suggested try a mixture of tinders, it helps to stop the bundle becoming to tight as you juggle it in your hands.

D.B.

i usually hold my tinder bundle above my head (and blow into it from below): in this way the smoke rises up and away from me, it also means that the heat goes through the bundle itself which increases chance of ignition; sometimes i swing the bundle on my outstretched arm (make sure you have enough space:rolleyes:) when i'm out of breath for a moment after a "" final burst"" with the bowdrill/fire saw....
some extra tinder between birdsnest and ember also increases the chance for success....

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
A bigger bundle will solve your problem without a doubt. I would also suggest to leave the char cloth for a bit longer in the bundle at first before you start blowing on it. Give it some time to build up heat and consolidate in a nice cherry-ember. This is especially true for bow drill-embers, as they are way more fragile in their beginning stage. When outside I let the wind do most of the work and give it some more 'umpf' by blowing a few times on it.

Adding the coal to the bundle and blowing it into flame is not easy, keep going at it! :goodluck:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE