from 1 cherry log get 7 cherry spoons

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Bit of whittling last night, dried overnight, finished off tonight.
cherry-spoon.jpg

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Thanks for all the nice comments
You're a very clever man Mr Wood
I don't think of this as clever really, its like riding a bike, playing guitar or driving a car, when you can do it it takes little thought. What happens is you need to see the basics of how it is done then put time in to practice and soon your body does it on it's own.

Very nice Robin. Any chance of a look at the side profile?

Dave
I did some more pics when I first started doing this design 18 months ago, http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2009/12/new-traditional-wooden-spoon-design.html
They are loosely based on some nice old spoons I saw in a museum in Galicia.

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
I don't think of this as clever really, its like riding a bike, playing guitar or driving a car, when you can do it it takes little thought. What happens is you need to see the basics of how it is done then put time in to practice and soon your body does it on it's own.
QUOTE]

I can ride a bike, play guitar and drive a car. Hell I even ride a unicycle, but my spoons never turn out like that ;)

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I used to commute to work on a unicycle and can at a push do fire juggling whilst riding. Had you spent as much time on the spoons as you must have done on the other things your spoons would be good and you would make them fast. It's just we expect to take hundreds or thousands of hours practice to be good at some things and for some reason think anyone should be able to carve a spoon, anyone can make a noise from a guitar but it helps if you have some basics right to begin with and then put some time in.

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
Very nice indeed.

I need to make a bigger effort to try and carve the same design twice - I always seem to go off in different directions thanks to a little knot or overzealous cut on one side of the handle.

Any chance of posting a pic of this design in profile?
cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE