Froe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cegga

Nomad
Dec 21, 2006
Sweden
cegga.spaces.live.com
Hi!!
Much time over :lmao:
So I did some froe to I don´t know what they are for so i made them after a pics I get so I hope they will work :eek:
I usual don´t make tools that I don´t know will work but this one I have know idea if I made the rigth way :eek:
Cegga
KopiaavFroe002.jpg

Last edited:

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
Might be an optical illusion but isn't the edge supposed to be on the other side?

The sharp edge should be towards the top of the image.

yeah, that's what I was thinking.

And I'm another one who's always wanted/needed a froe. I saw one in an "antiques shop" once for about £15. For some utterly inexplicable reason I didn't buy it. I must've been mad.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They look great - have tried them out yet?

I've been learning on one that Eric very kindly gave me a year or two back. They are simple in theory but to really guide the split and worky round wobbles and knots takes lots of practice - far more than I have had yet!

Great tools though - very much a "use by feel" thing (or so I have found so far)

Red

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
They look like you formed the eye by bending it and forge welding it shut? That is a better way then "welding a bit of tube onto a bit of bar". It is much stronger. I own a very old froe which works very well. It has a formed eye, and its blade was forged to a full vee shape (like a wedge, seen from the end), rather than a flat blade with a steep grind like you have here. The "kniv-blad" profile makes it easier to open the wood sometimes if it is reluctant, it starts the split gradually.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I've been learning on one that Eric very kindly gave me a year or two back. They are simple in theory but to really guide the split and worky round wobbles and knots takes lots of practice - far more than I have had yet!

Have you built a cleaving brake? It makes riving about 55 times easier....:)

Cegga

Nomad
Dec 21, 2006
Sweden
cegga.spaces.live.com
They look like you formed the eye by bending it and forge welding it shut? That is a better way then "welding a bit of tube onto a bit of bar". It is much stronger. I own a very old froe which works very well. It has a formed eye, and its blade was forged to a full vee shape (like a wedge, seen from the end), rather than a flat blade with a steep grind like you have here. The "kniv-blad" profile makes it easier to open the wood sometimes if it is reluctant, it starts the split gradually.
Hi!
This one are forge all in one piece I use a square material same as I use in a
sledgehammeraxe I make a hole in one start and forge the blade after the hole
So the froe are in one piece no welding
Cegga

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE