Froe: a new to me tool

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I've never used one but have always been intrigued by them, so decided to get one and see how I get along with it. Unfortunately it will be some time before I'll be able to try it out, so in the meantime I will have to be content with reading and research.
If any of you have useful tips and advice to pass along, I would love to hear from you.:)
These tools aren't exactly easy to find these days, but this is the one I purchased:
Shingle and Riving Froe

Instructions for it's use are given at the bottom of the catalogue page:
instructions

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nice looking tool.

I picked up a 200mm long Froe at a boot fair here in France. I haven't used it yet simply because It's packed in a box someplace in storage. I've been interested in doing greenwood stuff so nabbed it with the idea of one day being able to have a play.

Making the club to use it with is easy. Just grab yourself a stout round 4 inch diameter branch saw around one end a hand's width up and chisel off the wood from the end grain to form the handle. Simplicity itself.

How long do you have to wait until it arrives?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Russ bought one to take to meet ups. Anyone can use one safely. No sharp edge to flinch at when someone hits it in the ground, or on a sandy log. No worries about folks slicing hands, legs, ankles, etc.,

It's a balance thing though. You can only hit it as hard as you can hold it down, otherwise it springs and doesn't go into the end timber.

Incredibly useful tool, a very practical tool, think battoning on a large scale with no need for wedges :D

cheers,
M

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The cheaper ones to be had are normally cast and welded, and not forged, I seem to recall reading somewhere..

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I like them - Eric Methven gave me mine :)

Clearly you can get very even and controlled splits. One thing to practice is directing the split. By pushing, pulling and twisting the handle you can direct the split in different ways if its running too close to one side or the other. This is must useful on longer work pieces (cleaved fence rails, tool handles etc.)

Great tools - enjoy!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Indispensable tool when cleaving Ash and the like for handles, especially the long staves. As BR says, once you get the hang of "steering" the split you'll get the best and strongest quarters, vastly superior to quarter sawn as the fibres haven't been sliced clean through with a saw...............

A pleasure to use, and extremely satisfying! :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indispensable tool when cleaving Ash and the like for handles, especially the long staves. As BR says, once you get the hang of "steering" the split you'll get the best and strongest quarters, vastly superior to quarter sawn as the fibres haven't been sliced clean through with a saw...............

A pleasure to use, and extremely satisfying! :)

I've never yet done tool handles...would love to see a step by step pictorial :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've never yet done tool handles...would love to see a step by step pictorial :)

I'd be happy to do that tutorial, but it might be some time yet as I'm still recovering from three operations on both hands and still have restricted use of both - but they're on the mend! :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
How big though? :D I'm sure I could make something ridiculously big if needed! :D

I've had a few, but the one I always reach for was made from an old Elwell slasher and is 300mm; it takes care of everything I ask of it superbly :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd be happy to do that tutorial, but it might be some time yet as I'm still recovering from three operations on both hands and still have restricted use of both - but they're on the mend! :)

Whenever you have a minute would be grand - get well soon and shout if you need liquid analgesia ;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
How big though? :D I'm sure I could make something ridiculously big if needed! :D

A damn site more than 6"! Macaroon's suggestion of 12" seems about right - although a 12" and one about 8" would be ideal I think. Once you get beyond 12" you are into wedge territory for splitting I suspect.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I have a froe of my own, it's a fraction under 12" long. Aside from a pair of knifes, it's actually the only tool I have for woodcraft that is in a usable state (I have an axe, but it is short a handle, see the thread in the resources section).

The key detail with a fro is that it needs to be longer than the diameter of the wood you want to split. You need enough blade length on the free end to bang it when you have got the blade more than a blades depth into the log.

You also want to get *really* good at carving mauls. You won't be using a metal hammer on the fro blade, and you won't be using your favourite wooden mallet if you are doing any serious splitting. Find a piece chestnut or similiar that is about 4-5" diameter, chop it into lengths of about a foot. Carve one end down to a handle like thickness, and round off the top of the hitting end. With a good axe, shouldn't take you too long to make. When I've used a froe for making shingles in the past, the mauls were falling to pieces every 3-5 logs. If you are just using the froe to do one split, you can pick up a useful lump of wood off the firewood pile and use that, but it's not going to be pleasant for long term use.

Good luck

J

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
How long do you have to wait until it arrives?

I already have it in my grubby paws;). Once every year or two I find myself in a city:yuck:. The only thing good about it is being able to buy things directly from a store rather than wait for packages to arrive in the mail.

Yes!!

I'll be looking forward to that. I sincerely hope you mend quickly and are back to normal.
Hand injuries are no fun for those of us that love to work with our hands.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate you passing your knowledge along.:)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I've found anything around 10-12" is about perfect for average use. I've used much bigger ones on some big logs but you won't go wrong with ~12".
You really want a bit poking out from the log you're splitting so you can bash it with a baton.

Easy to make from an old spring. You can weld up the eye but a certain amount of flex is perfectly ok. Soft temper.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE