Friends build an igloo to shelter from the weather - VERY JEALOUS!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Was it too cold for them to stick it out because it was so huge and not enough bodies to warm it ?

They mentioned sleeping on top of blocks of ice too, no mention of spruce bows or other insulation. At least the young un thought it it was okay :)

not sure how "brave" it is, but it looks like an excellent construction.

they said they lit a fire but it filled up with smoke because the chimney wasn't effective enough... don't the inuit use oil lamps or candles to heat/light igloos for that reason? plus a fire would suck up all the oxygen and fill it with CO2.

they didn't show the sleeping quarters, but it didn't look big enough to have included adequately deep cold sinks. i may have misjudged, but i think it could work well with just a couple of modifications.

i'd love to have a go in the back yard, but i'm back in hull now and all the snow's gone. :(

edit: maybe they thought they didn't need natural insulation because they had multiple sleeping bags.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Great stuff, due to the snow type we have had here igloo's have not been an option. Due to snow depth and the freeze a snow cave has been the prefered choice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE