Friction folder with stainless handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I recently finished this knife using one of my designs, but with 304 stainless handle. No wood in sight, all steel, brass & silver It's fairly hefty at about 160 grams. Very strong too.

Overall length open: 7"; closed: 5 1/2"; cutting edge just under 3". The blade is 01, 4mm thick. The scales are stainless, 2mm thick. I copied the stainless handle and sterling silver arrowhead concept from a french knifemaker, but used my own friction folder design. I find this can be a good way for learning different techniques. The riveting is not perfect, it's difficult not to mark the scales with the hammer marks for example and one of the rivets was a bit short. Overall though, I am very pleased with the way it came out and will play with the ideas again.

One the lessons is that I need to find/make a "doming" tool for doing the rivets neatly and not maring the surface of the stainless scales.

What do you think?

P1030847.jpg

P1030845.jpg

P1030848.jpg

P1030844.jpg

P1030850.jpg

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's a cracker Joel, I like a bit of shiney bling in a blade

Would a rubber o-ring on the bottom of your doming tool help?

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
That's a lovely knife! I don't normally go for all steel knives but that one speaks to me. The arrowhead is awesome as well. Not sure if it would help but I've drilled a wee indent into a solid chunk of steel and polished out the indent. I use that for pinning straight razors to get a nice clean dome when peening. Perhaps you could do that on a slightly larger scale and put some innertube down on the steel as Rich suggested?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
That's a lovely knife! I don't normally go for all steel knives but that one speaks to me. The arrowhead is awesome as well. Not sure if it would help but I've drilled a wee indent into a solid chunk of steel and polished out the indent. I use that for pinning straight razors to get a nice clean dome when peening. Perhaps you could do that on a slightly larger scale and put some innertube down on the steel as Rich suggested?

That's the same as the tools I have for doming boat copper rivets, but mine are far too big. Yours must be quite dainty... How did you round out and polish the indent? The rubber tube idea is a good one too.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i like the multi hammered effect of the rivets,

i think one uniform blow would have taken away from the look af it,...

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
That's the same as the tools I have for doming boat copper rivets, but mine are far too big. Yours must be quite dainty... How did you round out and polish the indent? The rubber tube idea is a good one too.

Ya dainty indeed...I used a drill bit then a wee round stone on a dremel bit I had. After testing it a few times it was really smooth and polished.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Nice work JoJo.The tool you are after is called a 'rivet set up and snap'.Priory make good ones.Failing that you can always get an old cold chisel, cut the hardened end off, heat it and hammer it onto a ball bearing then heat treat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE