friction folder fail!!! grrrrrrrrrrr

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah if they warp, reheat them to non magnetic and let cool naturally. Then straighten and re-heat treat it.

What temperature did you temper it at? An hour is normally fine time-wise for carbon steels.

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
I temprered at around 200 in the oven. Twas only slightly warped.

The crystal structure seemed quite course inside which is what made me think about the normalization.

And it was a file, w1 or 1095 steel I think from what I can gather. Don't know if it makes much difference?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Your tempering temp was too low by a fair bit, that wouldn't have hardly drawn the temper back at all. Aim for 250 next time :). The blade will have warped because you either heated it too much in a localised area, or moved the blade sideways on quenching. :)

Never used either of those steels so i cant be more specific i'm afraid.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
time isn't nearly as important as temperature ;) Standard industrial HT is 1 hour per INCH of thickness, so an hour ona blade is more than sufficient. The problem is that a file at 200c will likely still be in the region of 62-64RC

How did you try to straighten it? I do a lot of straightening post heat treat, you just have to warm it to a tempering temperature (ie less than you temper at, but still too hot to touch) and then hold in position until it cools. A three point rig in a vice is good for that

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
Right okay then chaps, thank u very much.

I can't tell u how I tried to straighten it cause u might tell me off. Coughhammercough

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
Oh I've already tempered another blade (same steel) at 200 for an hour and a half, is it worth anealing;re hardening and temper at a higher temp?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You don't need to anneal it as you haven't over tempered it. Just put it back in the oven at 250 for an hour and it'll bring the temper down. I can't tell you exactly what it will temper it to, but at a guess i would say around 58Rc If you had gone too hot then you would need to reharden it.

Hammer?... serves you right :D

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
just temper at a higher temperature. I normally temper twice, the first time at a lower temperature (that way I can check the hardness and decide how much hotter to go on the second run). The only reason to reharden is if you have serious warpage or you over cooked it on the temper (or hardening and its gone crunchy)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE