Friction fire set.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I would like to make myself a friction fire starting set, probably fire drill or similar. The question I have is: which woods would people recommend? Ideally I would like to limit myself to British Native (or naturalised) species?

Thanks

Julia

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
With the advise of those here I cracked it a little while back, willow on willow was what I got my first ember with, I have used ivy and lime too, they're all good, but the willow is probably my all round favourite, it's easy to get nice straight bits too, makes some lovely juicy embers! :)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
willow on willow is a very good combination, at present i am using hazel drill on ivy hearth which works very well, good luck let us know how you get on :)

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
I would like to make myself a friction fire starting set, probably fire drill or similar. The question I have is: which woods would people recommend? Ideally I would like to limit myself to British Native (or naturalised) species?

Thanks

Julia

Don't forget to post it on Clouston98's thread Show us your bow drills.:)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
As a general principle you don't need to be able to identify the tree type, you just need to know how to tell if the wood is suitable.

The best plan is to use the same piece for both the drill and hearth (if you plan a bow drill), as you know that both pieces are of equal hardness and therefore will work together. The generally known test is to try and make a mark on the wood with your thumbnail; if it marks with not much effort then that is a good sign.

A second test is quite simple; just try and carve a small piece off the wood along its length. If it carves easily and is obviously not hard then combined with the nail test you have a pretty good indication that it is suitable. The only way to be sure is then to make the drill/hearth and give it a go!

A secondary benefit of learning fire by friction is if you want to know about the trees; it is the beginning of a fascinating journey into the natural world. Have fun.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Willow on willow is a good option, I have a small stack of willow timber in the garden. I also have some lime, so that works nicely too.

I shall have to see what I can come up with.

Cheers everyone for your help.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE