french army sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

giz

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2007
devon
hi everyone

i was wondering if any of you guys on here have used the mk2 french sleeping bag
the one with the 3/4 lenth diaganal zip down the front
ive seen them cheep on various sites and wondered if there worth it
fed up with expensive kit and just want to go back to the days of cheap and cheerfull kit that you can throw around and not worry about it what do you think
giz

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Giz
I have not used one, but a pal who had to use one in the forces stole it 'cause he found it a nice bit of kit.. not sure if theft is a reccomendation though!:lmao:

I know what you mean about expensive kit.
I now use Millets own Eurohike make 3 season bag and a pattern 58 army down bag for cold sleep outs. I was so ****** off when i ripped a hole in an expensive down climbing bag that when I replaced it I went back to basics. Lets face it unless you are goind to do extreme stuff, when are you going to need ultra expensive gear?

Millets 3 season is in their sale at the moment at £40 for two of them, buy one and swap one.

Sandsnakes

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
giz, how much is it going for and where?

Reason I ask is that I'm using a Eurohike jobbie at the moment, and whilst it's a good bag that does what it's supposed to I'm looking around for a new bag so that I can retire my current one.
I'm not wanting to pay too much for a new one seeing as how the eurohike one only cost me something like £15 about 4 years ago.

giz

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2007
devon
theres a few on ebay at the moment going for anything from £13 grade 1 to £28 new

at the moment ive also got a buffalo super bag but hate using it as it cost so much
dont fancy crying if that got burnt by the fire
but who cares with a surplus bag

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
the f1 bag is a great bit of kit as it has a polycotton liner which makes it very comfy, the base is a rubber coated nylon similar to the german bags which can get damaged.

those newer ones look to be all rubber coated which will be good for winter but probably a bit sweaty if you arent carefull. I'd like to see one in the flesh before I bought one as i have too many as it is. 20 quid all in is a good buy though :)

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I've got a German Army bag sometimes described as a sniper bag which I no longer have a use for. It's not new and has a repair to the main zip but apart from that it's fine. If you are interested in it let me know, would be too pricey to post but as luck would have it, I will be driving down to East Sussex next weekend almost to Hastings. Let me know if your interested.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Id use your buffalo, and if it gets burnt, then slap yourself on the wrist, learn a lesson, patch it up and keep using it.

Its kinda like having an expensive knife that you never use, for fear of damaging or losing it.
By all means take that into consideration when you buy stuff, but if youve bought it already, be a shame not to use it.

giz

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2007
devon
well its a great bag for £13 99 water proof bottom warm and packs down quite small for a military bag the tops made of nylon theres no hood which dosent bother me and it just fits as am 6ft tall but that makes for a warm bag very comfy
well worth the cash if anybodys looking for a cheap bag no holes or tears or repairs smelt cleen too grag your self a bargain

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE