French Army F1/2 pup tent in cotton review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
...not to be confused with the more readily available polyester/nylon ones....

There is a lot of inconsistent info. on these on line, and some are offered for sale at ludicrous prices.

This is a small, possibly 2 man, but really 1 man and kit, pup tent with woven sig., as the title suggests, it is army surplus.
The one I got was used but immaculately clean and unmarked. It needed guys.

These things are incredibly cheap robust cotton or polycotton, I'm not sure which, occasional or summer use tents.
The dimensions are 6'6" long, 4'6" wide and 3'1" high...supported by two alloy section poles (ex lavvu) externally at either end. Very quick indeed to pitch.....perfect for a stealth wild camp as they are "army " green.
It opens both ends with 3 way zips and mesh vents above, supplemented with longitudinal mesh vents down each side closed with Velcro tent flaps. I think of it as a brilliant tarp with groundsheet in hot weather!
The material is about...280 g/m and in really foul weather would benefit with the addition of a tarp. Originally, I think they came with these. But they are rain proof if you keep off the material inside. I will also Fabsil spray mine in the spring? The tighter it's set, the better the waterproof"ness"...…...
They are robustly put together, with reinforcement panels at stress points, and the sig is goodquality.
Packs smaller and is lighter than the lavvu, but ultimately, may not be as rain proof, partly due to lighter material used, nor as adaptable.
Although the cotton variant is getting rarer, still relatively, very affordable, circa £20+ at time of writing, if you can find one (MM and Varusteleka?)

Simple, robust, relatively compact and light.

Last edited:

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Despite my minor reservations above, I can now add, post Fabsil; that in cotton at least, this is a perfectly good and weather/rainproof little tent. Works well.

Reactions: Erbswurst

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
I've just got one for a retro style event

Put it up yesterday for Freya to give it a good soaking so the fibres swell. May Fabsil it before the meet.

I agree that it's better considered as a 1 person plus gear tent

Checked it about 10pm last night and it was bone dry inside

76dd811c2a1c8f84af5ac08d03fd62e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
What's the weight of it?

Tent with lines?
2 Poles?
8 Pegs?

Or are 12 pegs needed?

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
Well after about 8 hours continuous heavy rain last night, I've just been out to check it and it has leaked with pools of water in the bath tub

So it'll be either a few coats of Fabsil or, more likely, under a decent tarp if rain is expected

Good job I found this out before using it in anger!

John

Reactions: santaman2000

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, the plastic version seem to be broken.
I red it somewhere else too.

Cotton tent fabric can last easily 100 years, plastic dies after a couple of years, even in the wardrobe.

Reactions: santaman2000

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Well after about 8 hours continuous heavy rain last night, I've just been out to check it and it has leaked with pools of water in the bath tub

So it'll be either a few coats of Fabsil or, more likely, under a decent tarp if rain is expected

Good job I found this out before using it in anger!

John

One spray of Fabsil (about 2 litres, hadn't tried the hose on it before...) and my cotton one with the hose has remained bone dry. I have read elsewhere, and there are one or two U Tube vids as well, showing the nylon ones leaking?

Last edited:

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
One spray of Fabsil (about 2 litres, hadn't tried the hose on it before...) and my cotton one with the hose has remained bone dry. I have read elsewhere, and thee are one or two U Tube vids, showing the nylon ones leaking?
I reckon only the cotton fibres swell on a soaking and the nylon doesn't. Good job I only bought it for the look (for a retro weekend) and not it's functionality.

A large DD 4x4 tarp will be going with us!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Do you have a club in Britain, where you reenact French life style, with Croissants, baguette, confiture de figues, crème de marrons, foie gras, vin rosé, café crème etc. in combination with camping sauvage?

Sounds interesting!

Far better than playing middle ages!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE