Freezing cold day out - v pic heavy

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Took the boys out for a trip to Chanctonbury Ring today, and boy was it cold, when we arrived at the little car park at the base of the hill, OAT on the car read -3.5C.

We were heading to the ring of trees on the old hill fort at the top right of this picture

Chanctonbury4-1-09.jpg

We didnt arrive until 10:30 but everywhere was still white with frost from the previous night

Chanctonbury4-1-091.jpg

The walk in

Chanctonbury4-1-092.jpg

anyone who has visited Chantonbury will know that at the base of the hill is a small group of beech trees and these have always been festooned with swinging ropes, i used to come here when i was i kid and play on the ropes and the "tradition" has thankfully continued, more on the ropes later

Chanctonbury4-1-094.jpg

the boys had a bit of a mess around in amongst the beeches before we headed up the hill

Chanctonbury4-1-095.jpg

Play time over time to head on up

Chanctonbury4-1-093.jpg

Chanctonbury4-1-0914.jpg

View over the Downs from about half way up the hill, although it looks like snow in the background, it's a heavy frost

Chanctonbury4-1-0919.jpg

Nearly at the top, littleun challenged me to run the last 100 yards, so i took him up on the challenge,

Chanctonbury4-1-0918.jpg

wished i hadn't by the time we got to the top, i was knackered, but there again so was littleun

Chanctonbury4-1-0920.jpg

having reached the top of the path we headed towards the Ring itself

Chanctonbury4-1-0922.jpg

Chanctonbury4-1-0985.jpg

we stopped halfway along the ridge, from where we could see the car parked in the little car park 700ft or so below us

Chanctonbury4-1-0986.jpg

Got to the ring and walked part of the way round it

Chanctonbury4-1-0926.jpg

before heading off to the Dew pond on the Western end of the ridge

Chanctonbury4-1-0927.jpg

Chanctonbury4-1-0930.jpg

Chanctonbury4-1-0931.jpg

we didn't hang around at the pond for long though, as the wind was adding to the chill, dont know what the temp was up here but it was seriously cold, headed to the trig point, out highest point today at 780ft above sea level

Chanctonbury4-1-0937.jpg

the views to the north were amazing, the North Downs being visable in the distance

Chanctonbury4-1-0928.jpg

headed back to the sanctuary of the ring to get out of the biting cold wind

Chanctonbury4-1-0939.jpg

Chanctonbury4-1-0940.jpg

where the boys had a bit of a play around

Chanctonbury4-1-0942.jpg

Chanctonbury4-1-0946.jpg

and then back towards the wooded slopes to the East of the ring

Chanctonbury4-1-0948.jpg

time for a spot of lunch and hot drink

Chanctonbury4-1-0952.jpg

Chanctonbury4-1-0955.jpg

Chanctonbury4-1-0959.jpg

eldest wanted to cook his own lunch today with his crusader cooker unit

Chanctonbury4-1-0957.jpg

filling our faces

Chanctonbury4-1-0961.jpg

lunch over it was time to head back down to the swinging ropes, the boys mum told them, you can only go, if you go down the steep side of the hill on your backsides and i want photographic proof, so here it is

Chanctonbury4-1-0979.jpg

having gotten back down, we headed back to the ropes where the boys had fun, not only swing on the ropes, but exploring the maze of roots on these old trees

Chanctonbury4-1-096.jpg

Chanctonbury4-1-097.jpg

Chanctonbury4-1-098.jpg

Chanctonbury4-1-0976.jpg

eldest enjoying a root cave, only wants his hobo stove and he'd be away

Chanctonbury4-1-0975.jpg

Cracking day out with the boys, best bit is they want to do it again next weekend

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Looks like a great day out.

That last photo reminds me of the bit in LOTR where the Hobbits hide from a Ring Wraith in the roots of a tree!

Cheers,
Steve

Great photos from a great day, thanks for sharing them. The views from the summit are beautiful. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who likes the light my fire sporks and feels the issue canteens and their accompanying cups are very handy to have along. I found the dew pond interesting as well.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Kep those root systems look awesome. how old are the trees do you think?

No idea Moose mate, but i can remember playing in the same root system when i was a kid and the old man can remember playing up there on ropes etc when he was a kid, and that's over 70 yrs ago:eek:

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Nice erm, diary!

Takes me back, My old man used to take me and my brother out just the same, around the brecon beacons - must be 15years ago now at least but I don't think I'll ever forget, it's a great childhood and I'm glad I got it before the computer games and telly, which (sadly) seems to be the average childhood nowerdays. Good on yer.

Alas, he's not all that well at the moment but when he's better I intend to see if he'll come for a walk sometime.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Good post that, mate, brings back memories when my kids were their age, took them everywhere as they grew, fishing, camping, the works, God!!! I miss them days so much.
icon9.gif

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
looking forward to doing the same with my lad when hes a bit older - 2 1/2 he is now - where can i get an infants fleece from - maybe 3-4 year old in size?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE