Freesole

https://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/freesole#10405

Anyone used the above?
it looks ideal to apply to my USAF moccasins as part of the upgrade process. However eBay has varying sized containers and I am wondering if anyone who has used it knows a rough idea of how much I'll need to treat the soles?
Worse case I shall just have a punt and see what happens but if i can save the time it'd help.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Yes I've used it to cover the bottoms of some moccs myself
Creates a flexible layer that grips OK but be aware as there's little/no tread on moccs it's still very slippy on wet grass/ mud etc
I also tried glueing some rubber sole to the bottom of a pair of moccs I made to see if that would help traction. it did but getting decent glue, good enough to hold in the wet etc is not easy and they kept coming off!
To answer the original question I think I used about a whole tube about 3 inches long on a pair. if you can it might be worth getting a little more (2 tubes) just in case...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If it's just to make them waterproof then melted beeswax soaks into the leather and does that brilliantly....and it doesn't slip on grass.
Doesn't give you a sole/sole though, iimmc.

M

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Not thought of beeswax on my Iron Age and Saxon shoes. Thanks Toddy. After a while I find that new single sole shoes of these types wear into the shape of the underside of the foot and do provide a grip. Impregnated dirt seems to create a protective sole as well.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They do don't they :) and the shaping is 'right' somehow.
New courrans we put into a low heat oven with scraps of beeswax inside them and it melts and slowly spreads throughout the shoe. I suppose it could be done sitting it on a radiator, but that can be a bit too hot, iimmc.
If you're sitting at the hearth and can watch them then that might be best of all.

Funnily enough I've raked out a pile of fleece that I want to felt down to make new boots, so this thread is timely :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE