Freak Spoon Injury

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Halfdevil333

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2006
On the Banks of Loch Lomond
Im well over due im on my 4th spoon with no injuries :cool:

Untill today that is...
Take one piece of Apple and one freshly sharpened/Honed Woodlander and hey presto.
The corner tip off my right hand thumb :eek:
Sliced the knuckle off my left hand thumb :eek:
and last of all a deep slice in my left hand.

She just laughed at me and said"When you going to finish your spoon now....When you grow a new thumb" :twak:

Anybody else have any good ones?

Cheers
Scotty " Three Fingers"

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well done - I think that most people who use knives will eventually give themselves some kind of bad cut. My personal best resulted from poor technique and working when too tired...I was gently dropping the point of a blade by stroking the back of the point and spine on a coarse stone ... unfortunately my stone was sliding on my workbench ... so I held it in my left hand... the job was taking too long so I increased pressure...the stone rolled... I had to pull the knife out of the palm of my hand where it stuck (in the bones?)...I suppose I should have gone to A&E but that is over an hour away..I still wear a 3/4 inch scar to remind me that knives cut things rather well and to treat them with respect! I am lucky that I did not cut any strings and cripple myself.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
The worst I ever did was a diagonal slice from front to back completely through the left thumbnail with a stanley knife. Totally my fault, stupidly cutting toward myself lucy i didnt take my eye with it.
Worst damage I ever did with a knife was atempting to slam my bayonet back into its scabbard on the parade square during my army time, felt the rifle slipping out from between my knees and in the confusion speared my left hand with the point. Yeah charged with falling out on parade and damaging army property (not me - my best uniform trousers covered in blood)

jamie6754

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 22, 2006
Bergen germany 29303
Yeh halfdevil i have a good one, whilst out with spamel i was carving out the bowl for a spoon for my daughter, when the the crooked knife slipped and carved out a large chunk of flesh out of my left hand above my wrist if the cut was 13mm lower it would have cleanly cut threw tendons on my wrist, quite lucky somewhat wouldnt you say.
Dont have a picture of the accident but i have one of the scar.

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00164.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The last time I mentioned this I got accused of being some kind of wimp but I'll take that hit. :p If you do a lot of carving, imo, it's never a bad idea to wear some safety gear. Cut tendons can lead to permanent injury. And don't carve when you are tired, eh.

carvingglove1c.jpg

jamie6754

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 22, 2006
Bergen germany 29303
Yeh hoodoo mate the next time i am carving i will be wearing saftey kit, i think that injury shocked me abit :eek: and spamel too it was his crooked knife.

Halfdevil333

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2006
On the Banks of Loch Lomond
Hoodoo said:
The last time I mentioned this I got accused of being some kind of wimp but I'll take that hit. :p If you do a lot of carving, imo, it's never a bad idea to wear some safety gear. Cut tendons can lead to permanent injury. And don't carve when you are tired, eh.

carvingglove1c.jpg

The strange thing is i have a pair of the kevlar gloves you have pictured but i didnt wear them this time :confused:

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
It's funny coming across this thread today.

I've just stabbed myself for the what ever time and I'm coming to the realisation that my wife's right, in that I am a stupid so and so and should give up playing with sharp things.

As this isn't going to happen :rolleyes: safety gloves a must!

Pib

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE