Foxes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
I'm seeing a lot of foxes about just recently 6 since Friday pm. without even trying, two this am. whilst taking my youngest to school, missed the bus again.

Anyone else seeing more than usaual?

Pothunter

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
pothunter said:
I'm seeing a lot of foxes about just recently 6 since Friday pm. without even trying, two this am. whilst taking my youngest to school, missed the bus again.

Anyone else seeing more than usaual?

Pothunter
Foxes everywhere round here, at my local nature reserve, you have to be really careful where you tread, I have never known so many around. Managed to get a few shots of a young one........

dsc02435largeyw2.jpg

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Great photo Jon !

Not Foxes, only bunnies a pheasants galore round here.

Had a bunny in our kitchen the other day, no idea how it got there ? It had myxy so I had to kill it :( Most odd tho, sat behind the door in our kitchen ?? Seems to be a bit of an outbreak of myxomatosis ATM. Horrible disease. Maybe the foxes are picking off bunnies ?

Cheers
Rich

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
I saw quite a lot in the first half of the year, even coming across a group of three pups playing in the woods.

Not seen so many in the second half of the year but the dog fox was about fairly regularly.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
it seems that the high availablity of food in the cities (rubbish bags, skips outside mcdonalds and the like) has allowed the city fox population to flourish.

what they have been doing in edinburgh is capturing them alive and then releasing them in the country so that peoples pets dont get hassled.

this might partially explain an overall population increase.

imo: leave the foxes in the city to clear up the rubbish and not eat our chickens in the country.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
That would be pointless to release foxes outside there own teritory . The fox will breed to fill the available food supply . In cities the mortality rate is very high so there should not be a problem . Foxes will only attack young ,or sick cats/dogs and most pet owners need to be aware of the risk .

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
That will explain some of thier behaviour, they dont appear to be using cover in the same way and are being much boulder sitting out in full view.
There is also an increased amount of mange showing up in domestic pets that may be atributed to introduced foxes? as wild stock here are generaly very healthy.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Just had a text from 'er indoors. There was one asleep in the greenhouse this morning. When she went down there it looked up yawned and leisurely strolled down the garden as if it owned the place.

I'll find out if she got any pictures.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
There's a large amount of foxes around where I live. In the evening you can often see them walking the streets.

When its mating time you can hear them 'getting it on' in the gardens behind out flat.....

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I am not going to go into detail but suffice to say I have been 'involved' with foxes for about the last 32 years and in this time I have drawn the following conclusions:

They are incredibly intelligent and beautiful animals
They are efficient and often vicious killers
Their Achilles Heel is their overwhelming curiosity (far more deserving of this trait than a cat!)
They succumb to infection with relative ease

In Buckinghamshire this year I believe Foxes have had a particularly poor breeding season with noticeably fewer cubs around both in the field and the inevitable road casualties.

I under keep an estate and have 'accounted' for approximately 20 less foxes so far this year than in previous years and I put this down to the hunting ban I am afraid. I know of several landowners who forbade the shooting of foxes on their land, being either followers or participants of fox hunting. These landowners have now declared open season following the ban and the more efficient and effective riflemen have moved in.

I do not wish to become involved in the whole hunting argument as that is not my intention for providing this information however I think it is important to relay some of the lesser known and unfortunate consequences of what I consider to be a poorly thought out piece of legislation!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Silverback said:
These landowners have now declared open season following the ban and the more efficient and effective riflemen have moved in.

They certainly have!
hornetstock.jpg

If the picture causes offence no problem if a Moderator wishes to delete post.

Reactions: beachlover

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE