Fox Cold Case --GRAPHIC WARNING!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Not my pic, but one that I found interesting. Some talented cold case folk on this forum, so I'll offer it out to you. What happened here then?

P1240835.jpg

JonB

Mar 16, 2009
S.E,Kent.
Not my pic, but one that I found interesting. Some talented cold case folk on this forum, so I'll offer it out to you. What happened here then?

P1240835.jpg

Could it be a Swans egg, and one or the other of the Swans caught Mr Fox in the act and gave him a beating.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Egg? Doh, I thought it was a cue ball. ;)

Cassowary wouldn't have much trouble inflicting that kind of damage, not eggsackly native though.

Wrong habitat for swans, although it would be more normal for the fox to dispatch the swan than the other way around.

That leaves us with large raptors really - the egg is either pointed end away from us or nearly spherical which suggests owl to me - eagle owls a certainly large enough and the egg colour is correct.

How am I doing?

JonB

Mar 16, 2009
S.E,Kent.
Just had another thought, could that egg be one of those china eggs that the game keepers use to encourage the young birds to start laying, perhaps Mr Fox nicked it and broke his jaw trying to break it open.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's a real egg. All wrong on species so far. Pay more attention to the surroundings rather than the egg and body.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
A trap. That egg is just a random one. There is a trap here, from hazel? fox nicked the egg, trap went off sraight into fox jaw! Like jungle trap for wild pigs... something like that.

JonB

Mar 16, 2009
S.E,Kent.
Ok fox tried to swallow egg whole, egg got trapped in foxs throat, fox broke jaw in desperate attempt to clear blockage in throat by rubbing and banging its muzzle against tree.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Fox with egg in it's mouth, stops by tree. High velocity round strike on Fox, round exits lower jaw and hits tree damaging bark and leaving matter/blood traces?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Martyn, Wicca and Poddle, I suspect you are spot on. The egg was a pheasants and left in situ, so could be bait or a natural raid by the fox..

Last edited:

bigant

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2009
Stoke on trent
its a duck egg i think.. used as bait for foxy and he's been shot with a shotgun. going off all the trauma on the tree would say it caught most of the blast but foxy got some as well. bet the other side of him is a right mess.

*edit meh was beaten to it by jonathanD*

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE