Fox 1 v Hunter 0

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trixx

Jul 14, 2010
Scotland
A fair amount of poetic licence in that article, I'd think.

I once read a report on hunting accidents in the USA that said that most gunshot wounds sustained by hunters were self-inflicted, and that the majority occurred while holding the rifle by the barrel and attempting to use it as a club to despatch a wounded animal. Sounds like that may have been the case here, as I seriously doubt if they engaged in hand-to-paw combat.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
The hunter is happy to shoot a defenceles animal half the time for no good reason he got shot stop crying about it you use a gun you know the risks.

Swagman

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Once, after a night on the sauce, I stopped by the local Chinese takeaway for some chicken in black bean sauce.
The takeway was at the bottom of a hill, and I decided I would walk to the top before eating it (to let it cool down, and also so I could have a breather).
As I sat on a wall beneath an orange street lamp, I saw a fox, plodding down the hill, on the opposite side of the road to me.
Instantly he stopped and looked at me. I expected him to run.
But we both sat there, opposite each other, stock-still, watching each other. Both having the same thought - that chicken in black bean sauce smells good.
So I took out a piece of the chicken and threw it several yards in front of me. The fox waited, almost as if checking to see no traffic was coming, then strolled across the road, sniffed the meat, and ate it.
Then I had a bit.
Then I threw him (or her) another piece, but this time a little closer.
The fox came forward and ate that piece as well.
Not wanting the fox to get too familiar with humans, and also thinking he may throw a spacker and attack me for my Chinese takeaway, I decided that 10 yards was close enough.
I'd have a piece. Then the fox would have a piece.
And that's how I enjoyed my meal - sharing it with a fox.
When we'd finished we both went our separate ways.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I remember once at RAF Bruggen a few of us were sat out side having a few beer's when one of the lads said "Look at this!" and there at the end of the table was a young fox just sat looking like a domestic pet.. quite a surreal experience, once it realized it was out of luck it just trotted off back in to the woods.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
I've hunted lightly for a few years in my youth and remember rules such as
#1 carrying loaded gun...is not advised (loaded as in ready to fire)
#2 stand behind the muzzle at all times (turning the gun around is a bit foolhardy)
#3 leave the safety on until you want to release

.......I'm putting it out there the hunter should know his tool a bit better.....carrying a loaded weapon and then pointing it at himself.....with no safety.....er darwin award any one?

Just plain Darwinian IMHO.....
ok so i was late to the party on this
mojo

Last edited:

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
I've hunted lightly for a few years in my youth and remember rules such as
#1 carrying loaded gun...is not advised (loaded as in ready to fire)
#2 stand behind the muzzle at all times (turning the gun around is a bit foolhardy)
#3 leave the safety on until you want to release

.......I'm putting it out there the hunter should know his tool a bit better.....carrying a loaded weapon and then pointing it at himself.....with no safety.....er darwin award any one?

mojo

I've never used a rifle, but those rules seem like simple common sense to me. As for the Darwin award, unfortunately the guy wasn't removed from the gene-pool, so only an honourable mention.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Gordy chill a bit. They don't mean any harm. I was stationed in England for 4 years and I learned the subtleties of their humor. If you hang onto the forum long enough you will too. No, most people in the UK don't have a lot of firsthand experience hunting like you're used to (almost none of them have ever hunted anything more dangerous than deer) but actually those on this forum are the more outdoorsy as you would guess just by the nature of the forum. Make friends here. I've had British friends visit me here in the Florida and quickly convert when they had an opportunity to go shooting or hunting. But remember they don't have people who still depend on hunting and fishing as their main source of meat like we do and they already exterminated their bear and wolf populations centuries ago. They've never had a bear or cougar attacking their camp or an alligator come into the back yard and eat their dog. Wilderness as we know it isn't as readily available there as we take for granted.

Last edited:

dwolfhunter

Jan 27, 2011
Virginia, USA
+1 with Santaman, there Gordo...

I regularly meet up with Aussies at an big SCA do we have in Central PA during the summer. The newer ones all get a little awkward when we go down to the swimming hole, or when we walk around barefoot in the woods. Seems that having Crocs in your fresh water streams/pools and more venomous everything-per-squre-meter than any place in the world...makes you a little paranoid about the bush. Once they realise that most of North America's poisonous snakes avoid humans, and there are relatively few venomous insects/arthropods in PA...and they get that there are no massive reptiles in the frsh water that far North...they calm down and muck in with the rest of us.
That's a bit like this situation. The folks in the UK have a nature situation created by a thousand years plus of land management ( note I did not say good land management). The only poisonous snake I know about in the British isles is the grass adder. There are ,to the best of my knowledge, no large predatory mammals other than their fellow men. The closest thing to dangerous fauna would be Highland wildcat, the occasional badger, and the odd eagle/owl/osprey sort of thing.
Shooting...a far cry from what we would call hunting...is a rarity, and an expensive luxury sport for most. Hunts are very often guided, for instance. So in addition to their dry-ish sense of humor, a lively sense of irony and an almost compulsive need to pull and American's chain...they don't grok where you're coming from other than your direct reference to Hunter Safety Programs. They aren't mocking you...nor are they suggesting that the hunter really had it coming. They are having a go at him for being unsafe and they are being ironic about the fox. That's all. Correct me if I am wrong Folks...

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire

I regularly meet up with Aussies at an big SCA do we have in Central PA during the summer. The newer ones all get a little awkward when we go down to the swimming hole, or when we walk around barefoot in the woods. Seems that having Crocs in your fresh water streams/pools and more venomous everything-per-squre-meter than any place in the world...makes you a little paranoid about the bush. Once they realise that most of North America's poisonous snakes avoid humans, and there are relatively few venomous insects/arthropods in PA...and they get that there are no massive reptiles in the frsh water that far North...they calm down and muck in with the rest of us.
That's a bit like this situation. The folks in the UK have a nature situation created by a thousand years plus of land management ( note I did not say good land management). The only poisonous snake I know about in the British isles is the grass adder. There are ,to the best of my knowledge, no large predatory mammals other than their fellow men. The closest thing to dangerous fauna would be Highland wildcat, the occasional badger, and the odd eagle/owl/osprey sort of thing.
Shooting...a far cry from what we would call hunting...is a rarity, and an expensive luxury sport for most. Hunts are very often guided, for instance. So in addition to their dry-ish sense of humor, a lively sense of irony and an almost compulsive need to pull and American's chain...they don't grok where you're coming from other than your direct reference to Hunter Safety Programs. They aren't mocking you...nor are they suggesting that the hunter really had it coming. They are having a go at him for being unsafe and they are being ironic about the fox. That's all. Correct me if I am wrong Folks...

seems to sum it up quite nicely :) one slight correction tho, so far as dangerous fauna goes, we do have to keep an eye out for gun-slinging foxes when we're out and about, they seem to be everywhere nowadays:naughty:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Once, after a night on the sauce, I stopped by the local Chinese takeaway for some chicken in black bean sauce.
The takeway was at the bottom of a hill, and I decided I would walk to the top before eating it (to let it cool down, and also so I could have a breather).
As I sat on a wall beneath an orange street lamp, I saw a fox, plodding down the hill, on the opposite side of the road to me.
Instantly he stopped and looked at me. I expected him to run.
But we both sat there, opposite each other, stock-still, watching each other. Both having the same thought - that chicken in black bean sauce smells good.
So I took out a piece of the chicken and threw it several yards in front of me. The fox waited, almost as if checking to see no traffic was coming, then strolled across the road, sniffed the meat, and ate it.
Then I had a bit.
Then I threw him (or her) another piece, but this time a little closer.
The fox came forward and ate that piece as well.
Not wanting the fox to get too familiar with humans, and also thinking he may throw a spacker and attack me for my Chinese takeaway, I decided that 10 yards was close enough.
I'd have a piece. Then the fox would have a piece.
And that's how I enjoyed my meal - sharing it with a fox.
When we'd finished we both went our separate ways.

Did you not think that teaching an animal to associate roadside drunks with takeaways with a food source might be not in their best interests?

Such behaviour causes lots of New Forest ponies (as an example) to be killed by cars every year.

Still, I'm sure there will be a smart answer rather than thinking about such irresponsible actions. As someone who purports to care about animals (or is it just that you dislike hunters? It isn't clear from your post) you should know better. Teaching wild and predatory animals to think of humans and roads as food sources is just as bad as the poor behaviour of that of the person in the original post.

Red

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

You touched on something I had left out. Thanks. One of the reasons for the different outlook on hunting/shooting is the different way it's spread among our population. In the UK as you said it's expensive and mostly done by those of higher incomes. Here in the US on the other hand it's an everyday thing by everyone from subsistence hunters up and we're still blessed with an abundance of open public hunting land. We have our anti-hunting groups also but they're a different demographic.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Did you not think that teaching an animal to associate roadside drunks with takeaways with a food source might be not in their best interests?

Such behaviour causes lots of New Forest ponies (as an example) to be killed by cars every year.

Still, I'm sure there will be a smart answer rather than thinking about such irresponsible actions. As someone who purports to care about animals (or is it just that you dislike hunters? It isn't clear from your post) you should know better. Teaching wild and predatory animals to think of humans and roads as food sources is just as bad as the poor behaviour of that of the person in the original post.

Red

We have our share of these here as well. Every year a number of bear and alligators have to be culled because someone either didn't know or didn't care that feeding them would cause them to lose their fear of man. When that happens their food agression makes them a danger and, well, the end result is always a loss to nature even if no one gets hurt before that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE