Found my perfect survival kit container

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike Harlos

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2004
Canada
Hi,

I've been keeping my eyes open for a small, light weight container for a survival kit. I wanted one a bit bigger than the Altoid tins, and I'd like to be able to cook out of it in case the need to boil water were to arise.

This is a titanium cup and lid, which are part of the Snow Peak Mini Solo Cook Set. The only drawback is that it's expensive ($55 Canadian for the kit, which includes a larger cup as well).

These pics give some idea of size (the light bulb is there for size reference, of course... not much help the bush :) ):

cup1.jpg

cup2.jpg

cup3.jpg

Regards,

Mike

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know that's a *very* practical idea and an awful lot more use, if it's really needed, than a wee plastic box.

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Both excellent ideas :approve: While we're at it :rolleyes: a slightly deeper lid would be awful useful too. That would give a small billy and a shallow cup/deep plate all in one kit. Add a titanium spork made to fit inside, and you're ready to go.....well, anywhere really :D

Cheers,
Toddy

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hi,
I had the same trouble some time ago. I opted for one of the oblong pans with a lid and a folding handle from TRANGIA. Its big enough to hold lots of stuff, easier to pack than a round and can act as a pan and the lid as a plate. Worth a look.
:D

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Ok, I know this is probably for a diferent thread but what is this "survival kit" for?

I mean, what do you keep in it and if you want to be able to cook with it, does that not mean taking everything out of it when you want to cook every time?

I have one of those snap lock air tight plastic boxes from sainsburys that works a treat for me. I also keep batteries and other items that don't like water in it and it's clear so I can easily see inside. something like this...

63_1_b.JPG

RGRBOX

Forager
I have two seperate but different types of survival kits. My compact one is a bought one that I got in a small plastic waterproof container I can even wear around the neck. The second one I carry, is in a Spec Ops BDU pocket pouch but I put inside large better quality items tht could very well be used on a daily bases. I hate the idea of carrying stuff that whn I need it, it will last one time. I even carry about 500.-- chf of gold with me.. and a real leatherman, good size candles etc... the kind of stuff that will work over and over again.. this pouch I use can be carried inside of a BDU pocket or on the belt...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's basically a little box of useful, just in case, things. Mine usually sits in the bottom of my daypack but I've got one in the car too. There's a space blanket and a ten metre length of twine. Some first aid supplies, a pocket knife, a candle and some tinder and some waterproof matches, though I've added ferro rods too now. A little led torch and a button compass. Some water purifying tablets and a small hussif. I refresh tea and sugar and sweeties fairly often.
I know mine's very simple, I don't really do the extreme stuff many of you do, and since I'm vegetarian I'm not really thinking about hunting/fishing either.
Might be interesting to bring up another thread and do these tins/boxes again.
Cheers,
Toddy

RGRBOX

Forager
In my car, I have a larger box, old Swiss Army plastic med pack box.. inside I keep some tools, jumper cables, down jkt, sleeping bag.. sweater, flashlight and other small items.. I have the slepping bag, and jacket because I live in the mountains her in Switzerland,and i carry my children up and down the mountain often in winter.. if there's a problem i can put both of them in the sleeping bag, put the jkt on, and get to work.. getting back home again.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah now, well....the car :eek: Mine's usually stuffed with everything up to a kitchen sink :rolleyes:
Graham_S walked past it one day, didn't believe it was mine since it was too empty :eek: I'd only tidied it up!
I've got tool kits, F.A. kit, Hussif, brollies, blankets, waterproofs, boots, gloves, hats. Water and stove and T, coffee, cupasoups, chocolate, biscuits, jerky, nuts......and the worst that's happened so far is a four hour traffic jam on the M8 :D The most awkward thing in the car was the spinning wheel. (prize to whoever comes up with a good bushcrafty use for one :p )
We broke out the hot chocolate and the muesli bars and just enjoyed the company.

Cheers,
Toddy

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
RGRBOX: I can understand you having yours in the winter months if you're travelling an area where you may not cross many other people or see much traffic but some people (especially here in the UK) seem to be completely paranoid and take all sorts of stuff for a trip in to central london.

Mike Harlos

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2004
Canada
Squidders said:
Ok, I know this is probably for a diferent thread but what is this "survival kit" for?

I mean, what do you keep in it and if you want to be able to cook with it, does that not mean taking everything out of it when you want to cook every time?[/IMG]
Hi,

I keep a bit of first aid stuff (I also carry a bigger first aid kit), matches, "artificial tinder", firesteel, signal mirror, whistle, water purification tabs, Leatherman Squirt P4, a bit of duct tape, safety pins, a few hooks and some fishing line, nylon string, some Advil, acetaminophen (paracetamol) with codeine. There might be a couple of other things... I'm just going from memory.

This is the small kit that I carry even on a short hike that I otherwise wouldn't have cooking gear. I would bring other kit if I were planning to cook, so this would only be if I were stranded somewhere and needed the pot to boil water. I was wanting to have some redundancy... such as a couple of ways to start fire. This way, I have a couple of ways to purify water, even if I had only planned to be out a few hours and had no pots with me. :)

Mike

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
What i found useful was, ... have you seen the small whisky mini bottle sets?
gift ideas, cost about £5 and you get 2 little bottle of whisky in them, drink that, take the plastic insert out, and hey presto great little tin with a lid that clips shut.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hi
Yes, bikething has the dimensions. More half a brick than the full thing! I was impressed more by the fact it was very useful. Could even be used to dig a snowhole at a push.
Let us know what you decide on :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE