Found a Wild Service Tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Evening everyone

I found my first Wild Service Tree in the Forest of Dean yesterday (found about a dozen actually!).

I was wondering, apart from the edible berries, which are delicious, are there any other bushcraft uses of this tree?

Also, does anyone know if the berries of the Whitebeam are edible? I note they have a similar latin name and look similar to the berries of the Wild Service.

Thanks

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Whitebeam is edible, treat much in the same way as berries from the service tree. The two species are closely related.

Wild service tree is probably the last native tree species I have yet to find. There are allegedly 2 in a wood near me, but I've never found them.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Nice link there Mang will have to have a look at that Badger bushcraft website it looks pretty good. HARVESTMAN now is the time to spot 'em, it was the vivid colour of some of the leaves which i spotted out of the corner of my eye!

loosehead

Oct 7, 2011
skegness
got a couple in bardney limewoods not too far from me - the berries were used to flavour/preserve beer before we used hops according to the local ranger

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE