Found a juvenile Slow worm

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trencakey

Nomad
Dec 25, 2012
Cornwall
Found a 4" Slow Worm this morning in a puddle in the local woods.I'd imagine the bank it lived in has been washed out as we've had the heaviest rain in years here.Anyway the little chap was going to drown if it was left in the puddle so I've brought it home.It's at the moment quite happy in a small tank with compost in it.What should I do with it ?

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
They generally hibernate until early spring, if you do not have a rescue centre of some description that can either take it or give advice then I would be tempted to find a compost heap away from cats/predators and that is not likely to be disturbed until spring and release it on the heap. Don't try and bury it in the heap it should do that for itself, it may well take advantage of the fact that it is awake to grab a few slugs before settling back down again. If a rescue site is available though try there first.

D.B.

Trencakey

Nomad
Dec 25, 2012
Cornwall
I've put it in the border that has a few bit's of dead wood,there are also bit's of granite that have gaps underneath.I'll have a look in a bit to see if it has moved,if not I'll have to try something else.Thanks DB :)

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Found a 4" Slow Worm this morning in a puddle in the local woods.I'd imagine the bank it lived in has been washed out as we've had the heaviest rain in years here.Anyway the little chap was going to drown if it was left in the puddle so I've brought it home.It's at the moment quite happy in a small tank with compost in it.What should I do with it ?

Our area is heaving with them we had some very mature ones and loads of adolescents i have relocated about 30 so far.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thank you all = I looked it up. A legless lizard, in fact. No wonder they are protected.
But for the slugs in my garden next summer, please send me 50 of them.:cool:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Yes, they should be hibernating at this time of year under the soil. IIRC the best thing to do if you find one while it should be hibernating is to not touch it or bring it inside as raising their temperature causes their metabolism to rise and it can harm them (move them using gloves IIRC). Having said that it would have surely died if you left it so at least it might now have a chance.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs

Slow Worms can actually swim quite well.Their biggest predators are domestic Cat's so hopefully you don't get too many round your garden. If you do, it's probably better to move it somewhere else.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought they were cold blooded though, and having worked in those puddles or bitterly cold rainwater I have to admit that my hands ached, I don't know how well a wee four inch lizard would do in one.

M

Trencakey

Nomad
Dec 25, 2012
Cornwall
This one wasn't swimming it was motionless on the bottom and stiff as a board..It looked dead until it got some warmth from my hand.According to my Black Lab we don't get cats in the garden anymore :D

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Best thing to do is put it in dense grass,bracken etc close to where you found it. It will die indoors as it won't feed and it's biological functions will be screwed up in that environment. If it is warmish tomorrow, best advice, take it back. It will know the scents of its own habitat and seek safety.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE