Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I found one of these...
4697403978_88552bdb10.jpg

So I made one of these...
4697403760_13e408980b.jpg

4697403488_0dca18d4e9.jpg

Sincere thanks to those here and elsewhere who posted their jerry can creations and inspired me!

Z

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Ah yes! I see from your avatar that you are one of those who I owe thanks to.

You will notice there are no close-ups of my welding! Those hinges appear to be held on by holes!

I copied your idea of the brick supports for cooking lunch today - I am hoping to come up with something a bit more lightweight and portable to replace these.

Z

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I may be able to get a Jerry can but am a bit worried about cutting it as it has had petrol in it. How do you clean it up or make it safe before cutting it?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
If it's not been used for while then this is just for belt and braces, use some hot soapy water put a couple of liters in, close top, swill about for a while and epmty, or leave with the top open for a couple of days to de gas or both untill your happy.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
If it's not been used for while then this is just for belt and braces, use some hot soapy water put a couple of liters in, close top, swill about for a while and epmty, or leave with the top open for a couple of days to de gas or both untill your happy.
:yikes:I hope you mean a couple of Litres and not liters or Lighters :lmao::lmao::lmao: as you could end up with a self made one that has no front on it (and a scar like I have on my left wrist - welding a filler neck onto a supposedly "safe" fuel tank)
Easier to say 1/2 gallon :lmao:

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
The one I found was dry and rusty inside. My approach with gas cylinders is to completely fill them with water before cutting. Washing out as described above is a good idea, but I have seen on forums elsewhere that the poster had simply dropped in a match! I suppose you could cut it while it is full of water.

It seems I am the sort of person who always does things in a safe way, but who has loads of little scars and stories;)

Z

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE