Forum virus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Anyone else getting a file store website when clicking on the forum link after a google search on an iOS device? Directs to a website for file storing and then opens the App Store.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think it's an ongoing issue with Google ads, Apple and Google have been trying to resolve it for a while now.

It shouldn't be affecting PC users though

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...It shouldn't be affecting PC users though..."

I don't think it specifically targets Apple users either, the issue is caused by the hijacking your browser via 'Google Adsense and Adobe Flash' or at least thats what Google are saying, however it seems to target IOS devices too and they do not support flash.

I don't have Adobe flash installed on any of my machines (Apple, Windows or Linux) and use the Chrome web browser to watch youtube and any flash media instead. I have yet to be redirected to any of those spam pages.

Perhaps folks might try uninstalling Adobe Flash and using the Chrome browser for a while to see if that sorts the problem for them.

:)

Last edited:

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
This has affected me on various android devices with the Chrome browser when googling for information and clicking a BCUK link.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Perhaps folks might try uninstalling Adobe Flash and using the Chrome browser for a while to see if that sorts the problem for them..."

This has affected me on various android devices with the Chrome browser when googling for information and clicking a BCUK link.

Well so much for that plan.

However it does still make sense to stick with Chrome and not use the separate Adobe flash plug in installer. The Chrome flash plug in is updated automatically by google when needed, so any security updates or vulnerabilities are addressed quickly.

Just to be clear though, there is no virus, the forum has not been infected with a virus nor your machine at home.

The problem is caused by some Google Adsense adverts which would normally show you links to cooking pot retailers (and which provide the forum with a little income to help keep it all running) being hijacked by unscrupulous advertisers that send your browser to a different site.

Google have been aware of this issue since last November at least and are working on a solution, BCUK is not the only place on the internet that is suffering from this.

:)

Last edited:

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Had the file thing pop up when I used swmbo's ipad earlier. Safari search for BCUK, clicked on forum and got the file page, followed by a pop up? of a web page of an adult nature! It was breasts only, but not what I'd like nippers to see.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Had the file thing pop up when I used swmbo's ipad earlier. Safari search for BCUK, clicked on forum and got the file page, followed by a pop up? of a web page of an adult nature! It was breasts only, but not what I'd like nippers to see.

Agreed. But to be honest I'm more worried about the warnings I keep getting from my anti-virus.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
This is the first time I have managed to get one of these pages to pop up, but only by using Safari which I usually don't use.

Like Dogoak I searched for BCUK in Safari and then clicked the first result.

I'm no web developer but by activating the developer menu in safari it seems to indicate some 'java' activity just before the switch to the spam site.

:(

bearbait

Me too, yesterday afternoon. It was via a general google search for something outdoorsy and I saw the BCUK link and clicked through to be pleasantly greeted by aforesaid lady. The URL in the address bar changed rapidly maybe 3 times before the page appeared. Using Firefox on WinXP.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Me too, yesterday afternoon. It was via a general google search for something outdoorsy and I saw the BCUK link and clicked through to be pleasantly greeted by aforesaid lady. The URL in the address bar changed rapidly maybe 3 times before the page appeared. Using Firefox on WinXP.

Happy Valentine I'd say ;)

Sorry for the inconvenience people, we're working on it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE