Forging an axe with The Village Blacksmith

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Good morning all - I've got some pictures from an axe making session the other day.

A good friend of mine Ian Thackray is a qualified Blacksmith and runs a forge based in Dorset.
https://www.facebook.com/IanThackrayBlacksmith

Anyway we have been meaning to have a crack at an axe for a while now and a couple of weeks ago we got the chance. I'm more of a bladesmith so it was nice to work with some one with a different skill set.

No early pictures Im afraid. We used a mild steel body with a forge welded steel bit.

I'm not all to sharp on forge-welding so my main job was heavy hitting:

hammerm.jpg

It took numerous heats and pounding sessions to get the general shape we were after. Though the process was actually quite quick when we used the big hammers ;)

We formed the back part of the axe first, then flared the front to the general axe shape.
Again no pictures here either sadly.

Once the bit had been flared enough we used a grinder to cut a wedge out so we could open it up accurately.

grinding.jpg

At this point Ian took over, he rather expertly forge welded a piece of 01 into the mild steel body. Despite our banter - Ian is a very talented smith.
52321528350145174146727.jpg

Then we formed the eye of the axe:

Here we had switched roles so I could have a break from hammering, and Ian wanted a go. We punched a hole through the steel and then opened the eye up to the right shape.

shaping.jpg

To be honest I cant remember if we did the eye first or second. So don't quote me.

So once the eye was finished the axe was left to soak in the forge:

inthefire.jpg

We only had 4 hours to do this in. So all in all about 3.5hrs work to get to this point.

At which point we had to leave for the day and I had to go back offshore.

So Ian was left to finish it off.

The finished axe: By all accounts it has taken a wicked edge.

resultw.jpg

handledf.jpg

I've been offshore so Ian has finished the axe off. The handle looks pretty good to me!

Hopefully we will have another session like this in the near future and I'll walk away with an axe. :D

Hope you enjoyed

Cheers
Andy

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I certainly earned the pack of chocolate hobnobs! ;)

Yeah the smithy was very nice. Brilliant set up.

The anvil was a joy to work on too. Very responsive.

Andy

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Wicked!!!!! That's a great experience you had back there. I can't wait to get my hands on some axe making, bro you did it first :D

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers guys.

Ian isn't on this site but I'm sure he'll appreciate the comments.

We do plan on making more! :D

I have a design in mind that I want to make and Ian is very keen to make a few more.

Palace - I'll let you know when I get home mate.

All the best
Andy

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
love to have a go at this one day, just no if i do, i will be wanting power hammers and a new workshop tho, and don't think that would go down well with her indoors to be honest.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Superb project, looks amazing the process and the outcome.
I will need to find myself a smith to befriend. but seriously awesome project my man
Topjob.
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE