The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company.PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
thanks, was keeping the materials simple till i get my hand in with this type of handle. im getting an increasing interest in old knives of the viking period and how they were made. obviously this isnt one of them but heading that way i think
thanks, was keeping the materials simple till i get my hand in with this type of handle. im getting an increasing interest in old knives of the viking period and how they were made. obviously this isnt one of them but heading that way i think
Apart from the wood, I would say you are there.
The Norse blades I have seen in museums all have different form on the blade. But generally speaking - the form of a classic Mora or a standard Finnish knife.
One thing most had was a lack of bolster or the end metal.
The larger ones, type seax, sometimes had that, but not always.
Handlematerial? As far as I remember, none had any traces left of the wood, I imagine they took the hardwood that was available locally. Oak, beach apple in the south, birch maybe alder further north?
I have seen several very small blades ( kitchen blades fir women?) that had a rounded tip.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.