Forge myself a titanium spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Not quite sure where to put this so mods feel free to move as required.

Any of you out there with a military background might appreciate the search for the perfect racing spoon is a long and arduous one. (ie a spoon good for eating from ration packs - ideally with a relatively big bowl and a long enough handle to get right down in there)

Basically I've been on the hunt for a decent spoon for donkeys. The lifeventure ones with the long handle are good but the bowl on them is little bigger than a teaspoon. No good at all.

Serving spoons are decent but the handles are always too short even if you forge them out a bit.

So I present my first attempt at forging a spoon. We had a bar of titanium so used that mainly for giggles. Pictured next to the other half of the bar.

titanium.jpg

It's still quite rough and ready and needs a lot of sanding down before it's really usable but the potential is there.

Titanium is tough stuff to forge. Behaves totally differently to steel. This is a low grade stuff I believe so not as hard as it could have been.

The handle is a good length and the bowl a good size. I've still got half a bar of the titanium so I might have another go at it at some point in the future but we shall see how this performs.

All the best
Andy

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers gents.
The Ti was certainly tough to forge but not as bad as I was expecting. Drawing out the handle went well enough but the bowl took ages.

All the best
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE