Forest of Dean.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Anyone know if your allowed to wild camp in the forest of Dean?

A firend of mine lives quite near there and I was thinking of organising a weekend there when the weather gets a little better.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Dunno, but I did a lot of military exercises there when I went through training many moons ago, and it is a fantastic area. If you do get the opportunity, I reckon you'll love it!

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
i think the answer officially is no.but there are several picnic areas with bbq grills that are supposed to be locked at 8pm but i think are not.and the local yobs go there and drink etc .there is also one of these opposite speech house nr cinderford and the parking is like a offroad layby with no gate.most of the woods are owned by forestry commison or whatever they are called now.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
moocher said:
i think the answer officially is no.but there are several picnic areas with bbq grills that are supposed to be locked at 8pm but i think are not.and the local yobs go there and drink etc .there is also one of these opposite speech house nr cinderford and the parking is like a offroad layby with no gate.most of the woods are owned by forestry commison or whatever they are called now.

Is the forest very big and does it have any remote areas? From pictures it looks like the parts near the river Wye are. The last thing I want to do is go somewhere that has loads of chavs hanging around.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There used to be few places I used to string a hammock up in my student days down in the area.

As with most wild places if you use your head it shouldn't be a problem.

However there is a big difference between discrete minimum impact stop overs and camping with a fire.

It's always best to get permission.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
i think i read in a mag it was 40 sq miles ,so should be somewhere for you to put your head down.i would suggest around tintern/catbrook area on the welsh borders but a road is closed around there due to a landslide and as its tipping down at the moment it will get worse.stay away from offas dyke trail areas as its full of ramblers.if you go to coleford and head towards clearwell/newland you might see somewhere,its heading towards tintern way ,what are you looking for in a camp?.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
moocher said:
i think i read in a mag it was 40 sq miles ,so should be somewhere for you to put your head down.i would suggest around tintern/catbrook area on the welsh borders but a road is closed around there due to a landslide and as its tipping down at the moment it will get worse.stay away from offas dyke trail areas as its full of ramblers.if you go to coleford and head towards clearwell/newland you might see somewhere,its heading towards tintern way ,what are you looking for in a camp?.

I won't be going for about 3 months so hopefully the roads will be open by then. As to what i'm looking for in a camp, secluded area, close to a river preferably and maybe some interesting sights.

Thanks for the info.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Got this reply from the Forest of Dean tourist board:

Thank you for your enquiry. Wild camping is not permitted in the Forest of Dean on Crown land, which is managed by the Forestry Commission. It is not permitted for various reasons, including the risk of fire, litter, risk of habitat damage.

If you would like to discuss this further, the Forestry Commission, who will be able to give you more concise reasons for the above, can be contacted directly on 01594 833057.

The Forest does cater for a diverse range of campers and therefore if you wish to have a look at our camping brochure, we would be happy to send you one if you let us have your address for postage.

Best wishes for your trip.

:(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE