Forest of Dean bushcrafting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yerbache

Forager
Nov 30, 2010
Bridport
Wondered if anyone had any ideas about good places to go be discreet in the Forest of Dean. I was there for an evening away last night just a little south-west of Brierly but had trouble finding anywhere which wasn't criss-crossed with well-trodden paths and mountain bike trails...!

I'd post a few pics but my status only seems to allow me to upload a URL.....perhaps someone can inform this Luddite how I can post a pic from my hard drive....? ;)

ether

Mar 20, 2011
Bournemouth, Dorset
i think you have to be paid up full member to post pics direct onto threads. What i do is upload pictures to picassa and set privacy setting to anyone with the url, then you just put a link to the photo's or album on the thread. There are other image hosting sites that you can use as well such as flickr and photobucket, all free to sign up for i believe

as for the forest of dean i have no knowledge of it but i'm interested to hear what everyone else has to say

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
went though the forest the other day lovely place wouldnt mind a camp up there myself regards dave

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
I have done quite bit of stealth overnighters in the F.O.D in some of the areas which are hidden from view. No fires.It means getting dropped off out there too,i would not park my vehicle up overnight. Never had any trouble in the past,i know it is not the done thing to camp illegally,but i am discreet and i just love the forest and have done since i first camped there as a kid.

Do a few recces of some larger areas. Mind you though you dont half hear some weird things out there at night on your own,can be quite eerie. :yikes:

Cheers
Daz

yerbache

Forager
Nov 30, 2010
Bridport
I have to be particularly careful as I work for the Forestry Commission, so there would be repurcussions at work! However, I think the byelaws regarding wild camping are absolute nonsense and I'll continue to camp (discreetly) wherever I please...we could learn a thing or two from the Swedish model...

Regarding interesting noises, I did wake up to find boar tracks nearby...will post photo's when I upgrade my membership..!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is rumoured that I have (in the past) traversed various parts of TFD but have left no trace of my being there (B&B reciepts, campsite bookings etc) so it is impossible to verify these rumours...the folige will not talk, despite my talking to the trees there on a couple of occassions....

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
hey fella welcome to the forum, to post pics you nned to load them onto a third party website for example photobucket and then use the image code in your posts. Its nothing to do with membership status

I look forward to seeing your photo's

Dave

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
if you speek to the FC they might inform you of a location you could use for a fee, i spoke to them (some years ago), they said they where putting an area aside for wild camping/bushcraft when plants and the like could be eaten and used etc etc etc....

i just used the FC web site got a number and called them up, but as i said this was years ago so all could have changed or never happened....

hope this helps...

regads..

chris.

ps welcome to the site, and i use photo bucket...;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE