Forest Green or Dark Brown?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Sorry? best for what blending in?? I think its just going to come down to the material type.

Why would the colour make a difference/

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
What`s the best colour for hammock straps, i have seen both of the above and also black so which is the prefered colour?

Well mine are black,it's the tarp lines I need to change to reflective for my safetys sake.
Don't think the hammock straps colour matter much.:dunno:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I guess if it with a view to 'stealth' camping i can see where your coming from , but if your about to be 'bumped' by anyone that is close enough to see the colour of your hammock straps it may be to late.

I would 'imagine' the main thing to be concerned with when stealth camping is initial camp location selection , choose an area that is naturally screened , away from possible footpaths etc.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
for camo just dangle some camo material over the straps, then the straps can be any colour!

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Changed mine to red - also fed up with tripping over them. But I have a slight red/green colour deficiency (which means in very dull light I will mistake both for black or dark grey) which means I still trip over them :eek:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Changed mine to red - also fed up with tripping over them. But I have a slight red/green colour deficiency (which means in very dull light I will mistake both for black or dark grey) which means I still trip over them :eek:
so...problem solved?:dunno:

how about black and white for contrast? at a distance in some conditions (snow/silhouetted) has a "see-through" effect, but close up is obvious as a trip hazard.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have changed my guy's to yellow / black static line. I also hang these...
glowringgreen.jpg

...from the edge of my tarp. It stops most of the Scouts fallng over my gear, most of the time:lmao:
The Nite GlowRing is the ultimate glow-in-the-dark keyring and the last word in ‘must have’ gadgets.
Featuring the same GTLS technology as Nite watches you’ll wonder how you ever survived without one!
Featuring an ‘always-on’ glow which does not require batteries, the GlowRing can be seen from over 30ft away in total darkness and is easily attached to anything you need to see in the dark - keys, bags, anything!
Made from durable polycarbonate the GlowRing will glow for over 10 years.
Quote from http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Lighting.html

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I was thinking about this at the weekend, as it happens. I have a green hammock that blends in with the woodland really well, which is great for watching wildlife from when you have been still for 10 minutes. I changed from some green hammock tape to some black slap straps recently, that I picked up from unsponsoreded on here. When standing 20 odd yards away the black straps are more noticible & stand out a bit more. As I like the slap strap system so far, I will probably give them a spray with green and brown paint while I am painting some other things at the weekend. While I dont do stealth camping having a semi camoflaugued hammock rig does have it's advantages. I frequently get deer wandering past 10 to 20 yards away (if the wind's right) while lying quietly in it with a brew.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Just a thought, are we trying to be subtle so that people don't see your set up, or animals? The reason I ask is, as I understand it, most animals are colour blind...:pokenest: or don't see colour as we do.

Simon

Last edited:

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Yes that's true. I just like the idea of the whole hammock kit being a mixture or brown, green etc.. as it definatly helps with not being seen. Part of that is probably that your shape is broken up, so you dont look like a human to them (i.e. that you are not standing)

Clouston

Jan 11, 2010
East Lancashire
I have changed my guy's to yellow / black static line. I also hang these...

...from the edge of my tarp. It stops most of the Scouts fallng over my gear, most of the time

Really? I'm considering putting up a perimeter of hazard tape to keep them away (no not away I didn't mean away really!!:D)

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
as you say, "blending in" and the material is polypropylene 38mm wide

In theori brown would be better, there is no black in nature, and in the dark black stands out as shadows. But normaly you consider camouflage from 300meters and out where the colour of your strings proberly dont mather much. In your case breaking up the unnatural siluet of your tarp is the primary issue and even more importen its openings as the shadow provided by it at night will make it stand out as an unnatural siluet.

As i think stated else where in this thread placement and facing of camp its proberly gonna be the best conseilment of your strings, not their colour.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE