Forensics

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

bearbait

Full Member
I always enjoy the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures on the Beeb. This year they're talking about Forensic Science. I was very struck by the parallels between the investigative processes and sign demonstrated, and those in tracking. I suppose that, had I thought about it before, I would have realised. (I don't watch crime progs on TV so have not been exposed to the processes before.) Worth a watch, anyway.
 
Yeah, lots of commonality there, logical processes based on experience and research etc. I wonder how transferable they are in actual results, even though the process are similar...
 
Yes, an interesting idea.
I suppose the best example of a crossover between tracking and forensics was the case of Raoul Moat, a few years ago, when Ray Mears was called in to help track him down.
From what I remember, Ray (unfortunately) proved to have *ahem* limited success...
 
Yes, an interesting idea.
I suppose the best example of a crossover between tracking and forensics was the case of Raoul Moat, a few years ago, when Ray Mears was called in to help track him down.
From what I remember, Ray (unfortunately) proved to have *ahem* limited success...

Ah yes, the old Ray Mears vs Perry McGee debate :)
 
I'm afraid I don't know who Perry McGee is, so I wasn't setting up a comparison of the two.
For the life of me I can't see how you can draw that comparison from what I actually wrote - there was no mention of Perry (whoever he/she is).
I was merely observing that when bushcraft tracking skills were brought into a forensic situation they didn't fare too well. On this one occasion.
If anyone can think of any others then please add to the conversation.
 
Both Perry (a tracking expert and son of the late Eddie McGee of 'No Need to Die' fame) and Ray were engaged by different groups to track Moat; both 'experts' failed but they both claim to have done better than the other.

However, Perry's expertise lies in the man-tracking arena. I did a course with him years ago. Having met both of them I can honestly say they are both capable of BS. :)
 
Louis Liebenberg wrote a book on the birth of science as part of hunter gatherer life and the role tracking played.

Forensic science is tracking.

Man tracking, much less animal tracking, is not necessarily backwards comparable to forensics.

I saw the tv listing for the talks, but didn’t bother to watch. Having once been a fan of the lectures, I really went off them some years back when they dumbed down the content to be nothing more than entertaining for very small children. After a few years of drivel I quit even checking to see if they were any good.:(
 
  • Like
Reactions: Falstaff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE