Forced Patina or Not

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
With the recent thread on forcing a patina on a blade with vinegar. I was wondering how many people actually forced a patina, rather than letting one naturally develop? To force or not to force that is the question?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I force them. why?

Because I don't bother cleaning, oiling or waxing my knives like some folk, I just can't be bothered. But I still use them and nearly all are carbon steel so if I force a deep patina early on I can just wipe the knife down on my jeans and shuv it back in it's sheath without caring all too much about it rusting or whatever. I left a mora of mine that had no patina in it's sheath after cutting green wood and about a week later orange nasy rust formed on it. I sanded it all off and forced a black patina on it, now when I use one and don't clean it it's no way near as bad and that suits me fine!

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I don't force them, simply because it's less work for me. With a full carbon steel blade, if I carve a spoon out of one of those really green, whet white willow branches, I have a patina on the blade after just a day. Only on the bevels the blade has a mirror polish, it's no use if I try to keep the knife shiny, I just never feel like cleaning the knife and putting oil on it. :eek:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
If you use it lots then it will get a patina anyway :) or just use a stainless blade then you dont need to think about it at all ;)

I am starting to lean towards stainless steel now days, cos its just easier .

Last edited:

MightyBush

Jun 27, 2012
Scotland
I force a patina, usually by mustard, vineger or general use - depends on the effect I want (although I do not do this merely for aesthetics)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I force the cheaper ones like my opinels - just sit them in a glass of coke for a bit

I let my more expensive knives gain their patina through use...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE