foraging

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
hi guys wondering if there are any good books on foraging and recipes for foraged food. Prefer something relevant to Atlantic Canada or something close to that. Anything North America would be good though.

Thanks.

J

jmj8255

For foraging plants i have 4 books that I relay on.

1. Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants by Bradford Angier has good color drawings to help with ID also has some ways to eat them.

2.Edible Wild Plants of Eastern north America by Merritt L Fernald and Alfred C Kinsey uses black and white drawings and photos. good written descriptions.

3. The Complete Guide To Edible Wild Plants, Mushrooms, Fruit and Nuts by Katie L Lyle
uses black and white drawings and some color photos.

4. Field Guide to North American Edible Wild Plants by Thomas S Elias and Peter A Dykeman lots of color photos, range maps etc.

Unless I am sure of what I am gathering I try to verify what something is in as many of these books as I can. I have other books that cover a broader area so I am less likely to get a positive id from them. They just do not have the room to include everything so it is always best to try to see if there is a local book. But we make do with what we have.

Jim

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
some of the best recipes involving local plants and wildlife i have found are written by local farmers or their wives

the kind of thing they put together for christmas or fundraising

it sounds silly untill you think about it

now try the local library "cooking section"

and try not to get caught by anyone you know :rolmao:

Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE