Lady's smock

Pretty usual assortment really :)

cheers,
Toddy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
How do you tend to use Melissa ? I love the smell but the texture/taste is a bit rubbish..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like it finely shredded in a mixed salad, as tea, or if you make it really strong poached in milk you can add it to sponge cakes.
I also use it in the bath and when I make handcream.

cheers,
Toddy

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
don't forget the ever persistant and rather poorly named "jews ear" fungus.
get the younger ones and cut away the stems then slice thin for best results.
certainly not the most appetising of fungus but does well on the plate ;)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
don't forget the ever persistant and rather poorly named "jews ear" fungus.
get the younger ones and cut away the stems then slice thin for best results.
certainly not the most appetising of fungus but does well on the plate ;)

I saw a huge collection of Jews Ear today when out with the mutt, just cant bring my self to give it a go :eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice find :D I like them, and they dry very well for backpacking to add texture and thickening for stew/ soups.
Kids are taught to call them Jelly Ears these days.

cheers,
Toddy

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
ah yes jelly ear fungus. although Judas fungus is the original term i think.
i heard that you can poach them in milk then server peppered and they're really quite nice.
but soups and stews they work well in.

xylaria

COTW comes out midsummers.

Toddy your climate must be milder than mine.

I got some cleaver sprouts. They taste better now than they do when mature.
I spotted a bush that still packed with rosehips in pretty good nick when riding my bike. i have found it quite easy to spot munchies from a bike. The nettle are starting to come up as well, but haven't had any. Oddy no wild sorrel, I can't find any, its my favorite winter green.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It is indeed, bee balm is another name for it. The honeybees love it :D

I'll leave this thread for a couple of days for folks to add what they might from January's wanderings, then I'll tidy it up, close it and start another one for February.

cheers,
Toddy.......who today found lesser celandine coming up, primroses, brambles in bud, some very dried up beechnuts, dockens, nettles and dandelions. There's also a fair amount of self heal starting to whorl in the grass too. The pond plants included rushes and reedmace. :)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Toddy, and indeed others. I know I'd really appreciate it if you could post pictures of these things you are finding, many things I don't have a scoobie doo about. Of course, it's unlikly that you'll have a camera with you all the time, even if it was a camera phone? :D I think it would be nice to try and accumulate a pictorial guide as well as a written one. What da ya think?

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Nice find :D I like them, and they dry very well for backpacking to add texture and thickening for stew/ soups.
Kids are taught to call them Jelly Ears these days.

cheers,
Toddy

As far as I know they got called Judas or jews Ear because they often grow on Elder trees and aparently Judas Iscariot hung himself on an Elder tree.
Have also seen them on Elm as well though.

Not overly keen on renaming things constantly so I kind of continue calling it jews ear, I'm part jewish myself (only a 1/16 or so) but feel that anyone worried about the name really could do better things with their time.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
And I have Jewish friends hwo find it offensive.

The world moves on, jelly ears is descriptively accurate.

I do not want a rammy over this, but children are now taught the jelly ears name. It caused me no qualms changing when I accepted the newer name, I fail to see why a few are so adamantly opposed to a courtesy that is actually a more relevant description.

Toddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE