Foraging book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johnie

Oct 20, 2015
Sunderland
Was looking for advice on some good books on foraging and flora ID, mick suggested I ask here. Bear in mind I'm a total novice at this so even basic guides are helpful!

Johnie

Oct 20, 2015
Sunderland
May I suggest a different approach, even if it's just as a starting point ?

http://fergustheforager.co.uk/recipes-articles/a-review-of-wild-food-literature/

Fergus' website has masses of articles, and better yet, he tells you when something is available so it's worthwhile looking for it and becoming familiar with what's actually growing. :D

atb,
M
Thanks toddy. I'll make sure to check it out. I was also looking for a hard copy to take out with me. I will have a look now thanks for the help.
Johnie.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks for the Heads Up, Mick :)
No idea why, because we'd already approved his posts :dunno: One for Admin to suss out. I've fixed it from my end though.

One of the good things about folks like Fergus who write articles like those on his site is that one can compile a 'book' of plants that actually suits the area you're likely to forage.

The first link I gave is to his own reviews of some foraging books.
The best book I know of is Edmund Launert's Edible and Medicinal Plants of Britain and Northern Europe…..and it's a good pocket carrying size too :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/06003528...1171437?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1445549135&sr=1-2

Everyone has their own favourite though :)

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
At that price the book's a steal :D

There are a few folks I would love to do courses with, go walkabout with :) Fergus is on the list :D as is Marcus Harrington (Wildfood school) and Geoff Dann.

Thing is though that there are loads of very capable people up and down the country, but finding out about them, and finding they have time, isn't always easy.

Most of the schools will do a really good introduction on plant foraging and uses, some do so online.
StuartF ….fourcrowsbushcraft….does some on youtube I believe too.

Always interesting to hear what other folks have found and used :)

cheers,
M

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Thanks for the Heads Up, Mick :)
No idea why, because we'd already approved his posts :dunno: One for Admin to suss out. I've fixed it from my end though.

One of the good things about folks like Fergus who write articles like those on his site is that one can compile a 'book' of plants that actually suits the area you're likely to forage.

The first link I gave is to his own reviews of some foraging books.
The best book I know of is Edmund Launert's Edible and Medicinal Plants of Britain and Northern Europe…..and it's a good pocket carrying size too :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/06003528...1171437?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1445549135&sr=1-2

Everyone has their own favourite though :)

cheers,
M
Thanks for that Mary never seen that book before just got a copy for 2p plus postage
andrew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE