Foraged teas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you have the wild strawberries ?
They do grow wild here along the burn side, but I let them ramble through my garden underneath the roses too. John Fenna says they 'infest' his potato bed, so I'm a little reluctant to offer to post you a few roots if you don't have them.
Anyway, they set runners, lots and lots of runners. They pull out easily I find, but instead of composting them all I just gather up the leaves. They dry easily, but fresh or dried they make a gentle tea :)
From my big fruit strawberries I just pick half a dozen leaves and use those for my little teapot. I refill it so I get another infusion from the brew.
I like the idea of adding mint to this one too.

Drying leaves like these is pretty simple I find. I bought the net vegetable bags from Lidl's, the ones you re-use instead of using polythene bags for tomatoes, etc.,
I just put leaves in the bags and pin them out on the washing line. They dry in a day of gentle wind. Just give them a shake every so often.
They'll also dry like that in the house. A little slower, but they dry fine.

M

Reactions: DocG and SaraR

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I think I have access to both... I found a patch of wildies by a local stream a couple of years ago, had a look for them recently though and failed to find them! I have a big bed of cultivated ones at home mind so I'll give the runners a try :) Cheers Mary I'll give that a go.

Reactions: Toddy

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
If big leaves or big tea leaves even, just let sink and drink carefully. Or use one of these Finum tea an coffee brewing basket

I drink a bit of loose leaf tea and after getting sick of stray leaves escaping from tea eggs, pots, faffing about with strainers and so on I started to use a cafetiere /coffee press.
Dead easy and I already have a little stainless steel one in my van thats not liable to shattering if it gets dropped on the deck.
It even just fits into my van cupholder, win win.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
For earlier in the year, try the flowers from Lime trees ... actually the early leaves are rather nice too.

Most tree flowers work well for flavouring boiled water .. hawthorn etc. Also, honeysuckle.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We had pine needle tea a few times. Spring, fresh growth is supposed to be best I heard.

BTW are there any risks for these foraged tea. Like pregnant women or young children?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
We had pine needle tea a few times. Spring, fresh growth is supposed to be best I heard.

BTW are there any risks for these foraged tea. Like pregnant women or young children?
Many do carry potential risks! It's useful to look up the ingredients if the person drinking it is pregnant or has any health problems. Also worth being more careful if you're going to drink it every day rather than just as a one off.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Yes, be careful with minty-smelling things to know exactly what you got if you find them ... might turn out to be Penny Royal; which is bad for pregnancies. The leaves are smaller than usual, sort of oregano sized, and the plant can look cressy as it also does well in wettish habitat. In flower it can look just like any other mint.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

You really do need to research the less well/often used ones to be honest. The following are just an example of things to avoid in pregnancy:

Juniper
Mugwort
Pennyroyal
Shepherd’s purse

There are many more.

(for some reason I'm having deja vu)

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I'm going to try that wild strawberry tea tomorrow. We're getting over run with the stuff in the garden and it needs a bit of cutting back. I've been drinking a lot of nettle tea with rosemary recently. I use an insulated stainless steel cafetière as a tea pot which helps keep the water temperature up as it steeps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE