For the Zombie Lovers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Haven't watched the first series, presuming it's worth it? Though see it's by the Z Nation folks, which had bit too much humour and silliness for my liking.

Last good zombie series I watched was the Russian "To The Lake", again on Netflix. And just seen new series coming for next year.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Haven't watched the first series, presuming it's worth it? Though see it's by the Z Nation folks, which had bit too much humour and silliness for my liking.

Last good zombie series I watched was the Russian "To The Lake", again on Netflix. And just seen new series coming for next year.

Its nothing like the Z nation series which I agree was silly ( we are talking about Zombies however..... ) and humourful - I didn't watch that.

Black Summer is far more Walking Dead meets 28 days Later.

Worth a watch I think.

I'll check out " To the Lake" - Thanks.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
It's very high quality for an Asylum production. Sharknado anyone?

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I didn’t think very much of the first series but I’ll give the second a go. Thanks for the heads up. I guess a not very good Zombie Apocaliptic tv/filum is better than no Zombie Apocaliptic tv/filum :-D

Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have not seen a decent zombie movie since the last night of the proms, that one was scary :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I realise what I do like about Black Summer is the filming style.

It uses a lot of long single takes for what is a high action production - along the lines of the Same Mendes film 1917.

Have a think about it if you watch it. A lot of choreographed set pieces.

Kadushu

Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Nice demonstration of how not to use a bow drill in s2e5. I find the relentless hopelessness pretty grinding. I mean usually there are some lighter moments even in very dark films but this is one long grind where everyone's miserable and anyone can die. But maybe that's more realistic and I respect that.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Watched the opening episode last night, it was better than the opening episode of series one for sure. It wasent bad overall I reckon. I’ll stick with it, episode two this evening

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I am finding it rather short on zombies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, Maybe - I guess for me the idea of Zombies has always been that they are more an inconvenient background threat ( TWD ) rather than the horde high speed masses of World War Z.

Its the backdrop to a P.A human drama and interaction in high stress environment. ( If I wanted to over analyse it.. )

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Hmmm, Maybe - I guess for me the idea of Zombies has always been that they are more an inconvenient background threat ( TWD ) rather than the horde high speed masses of World War Z.

Its the backdrop to a P.A human drama and interaction in high stress environment. ( If I wanted to over analyse it.. )

I got too used to “The Walking Dead” I guess.

The whole zombie genre is really quite confusing, sometimes when a zombie finds a human they literally rip the human apart = no additional zombie created but sometimes they just bite them= new zombie created, how do they decide? LOL

Also in Black Summer the zombies seem to be sniffing the air for humans (in other movies they hear the humans) but how is this possible when they are in effect brain dead eating machines?!? Same for how can they see humans I guess.......

Too much free time this morning, must find something productive to occupy my time :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I got too used to “The Walking Dead” I guess.

The whole zombie genre is really quite confusing, sometimes when a zombie finds a human they literally rip the human apart = no additional zombie created but sometimes they just bite them= new zombie created, how do they decide? LOL

Also in Black Summer the zombies seem to be sniffing the air for humans (in other movies they hear the humans) but how is this possible when they are in effect brain dead eating machines?!? Same for how can they see humans I guess.......

Too much free time this morning, must find something productive to occupy my time :)

You are not alone in your random thinking - I too wonder how Zombies ' work '...

I mean , what is a zombies main sense of detection to a Human?

Sight?? If so - how far ? I'm assuming they can't see distance like Humans but more close changes in movement.

Hearing? If so Gunshots attract them but so would loud speech and mechanical noises. If so can you use natural ( rain fall ) or man made ( distraction ) to sound mask movement and travel around a zombie undetected.

Smell? - In the walking dead one could 'mask' ones presence with the liberal smothering of decaying entrails.

Also how long is a Zombies working memory? If chased and you hide in a shed will the zombie remain outside forever if one remains silent and is out of sight whilst covered in decaying matter?? Do zombies remember how many brains they are chasing??

How does Zombie virus spread? and what is its velocity of transmission like - I quite like the idea that the virus spreads from infected blood. Once bitten the no newly formed Zombie for the first week has the ability to move fast ( 28 days/Black Summer ) - as time progresses the Zombie starts to break down via the natural decay rate and it become more the shambling creature of the Romeoesque night.

In TWD & Black Summer the Zombie virus seems inherent in each person regardless of how they die - if you die from a Gunshot/car crash/ normal accident you " turn " .

Anyway - just wanted to assure you that you are not the only one that ponders such things. :)

Last edited:

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
You are not alone in your random thinking - I too wonder how Zombies ' work '...

I mean , what is a zombies main sense of detection to a Human?

Sight?? If so - how far ? I'm assuming they can't see distance like Humans but more close changes in movement.

Hearing? If so Gunshots attract them but so would loud speech and mechanical noises.

Smell? - In the walking dead one could 'mask' ones presence with the liberal smothering of decaying entrails.

Also how long is a Zombies working memory? If chased and you hide in a shed will the zombie remain outside forever if one remains silent and is out of sight whilst covered in decaying matter?? Do zombies remember how many brains they are chasing??

How does Zombie virus spread? and what is its velocity of transmission like - I quite like the idea that the virus spreads from infected blood. Once bitten the no newly formed Zombie for the first week has the ability to move fast ( 28 days/Black Summer ) - as time progresses the Zombie starts to break down via the natural decay rate and it become more the shambling creature of the Romeoesque night.

In TWD & Black Summer the Zombie virus seems inherent in each person regardless of how they die - if you die from a Gunshot/car crash/ normal accident you " turn " .

Anyway - just wanted to assure you that you are not the only one that ponders such things. :)

Ahhh a fellow zombie fan who puts thought into what he sees!

Unfortunately there isnt much commonality between different movies, some zombies are slow, others fast, some don't seem to have any ability to see, some do, some can smell and some cannot, I could go on and on!

So many aspects to consider and just when you think you have worked it out, a new movie comes out and turns it all on it's head.

Kadushu

Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Why does it have to be a virus? The same has been applied to vampires and werewolves and it's still just as messy and full of BS. Might as well just own up to the illogic and go back to calling it supernatural.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
  • Haha
Reactions: CLEM

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Why does it have to be a virus? The same has been applied to vampires and werewolves and it's still just as messy and full of BS. Might as well just own up to the illogic and go back to calling it supernatural.

All of you wondering about zombies ought to have a copy of The Zombie Survival Guide, it’s a work of genius. :)

Rubbish!!!!

( Although I have read it.. )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE