For swap: book "The Making of the British Army"

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I now have two brand new copies of "The Making of the British Army: From The English Civil War To The War On Terror" by Allan Mallinson, published Sep 2009. In this sweeping account of nearly 500 years of military history, former soldier Allan Mallinson looks at how the Army's dramatic past has made it one of the most effective fighting forces in the world today.

I'd be interested in swapping one of these copies. For guidance, the list price is £20, but Amazon are currently doing it for £10. I'm open to any offers of things to swap but am definitely interested in some fairly thick, e.g. 3 to 3.5mm, veg-tan leather (I'm happy for you to decide how much leather is the equivalent of the book) or you could propose some other leather working tools /books, or a crook knife blade similar to the ones currently in demand since the latest RM Northern Wilderness program (though these may be a bit too 'expensive' compared to value of the book).

Please feel free either to post on the thread or PM me.

Geoff

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Would you consider a couple of cops of really good quality linen thread, suitable for leatherworking, as a fair exchange ?

cheers,
Toddy

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Linen thread certainly sounds like a good swap, but do you mind if I see what Dougster has to offer before I decide. :)

Thanks

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Absolutely fine. I'd be very happy to swap the book for some linen thread, Toddy.

Shall we exchange addresses by PM, though it may be a day or two before I can get to a post box, as we've even got snow in Oxfordshire now.

Materials will always come in handy. I made my first leather belt just before Christmas and already have two commissions from friends.

ATB

Geoff :)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Many thanks for the swap, Toddy. Thread arrived this morning and looks really good.

A bit Xenophobic, but I love a quote from the introduction to the book where the author tells about a time when he was talking to a senior Italian officer. The Italian gentleman asked the author to name the top 10 British Generals from history. The author said that he came up with five fairly quickly but, as he was pondering the other five, the Italian officer said "That's the problem, we don't have any."

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE