For all the horsefly fans out there...

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
If you thought the regular horseflies were bad we've been getting quite a few of these in the garden this week :mosquitos:

This one wasn't even the biggest but it was the deadest so much easier to photograph.

DSC02179_zpsf8dd96be.jpg

DSC02186_zps4d5c7b11.jpg

and the bitey end...

DSC02190_zps3e325bb7.jpg

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I hate those bloody things. We used to get them on the stud in australia - try catching/swatting one when it is buzzing around a horse that is going beserk kicking at it.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Hard to accept that anything that amazingly complex and beautiful, having evolved over who knows how long to be as efficient as they are, could come as close as anything ever has to making my life a misery for the better part of the year.............and I chose to work with horses?

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I work with horses to, and I bloody hate these pesky creatures! I sounds like a small, hostile airplane (or helicopter) when they buzz around, annoying everything on their way.
I love to whack them around though... It gives me great pleasure to hit a home run using them as the ball.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I work with horses to, and I bloody hate these pesky creatures! I sounds like a small, hostile airplane (or helicopter) when they buzz around, annoying everything on their way.
I love to whack them around though... It gives me great pleasure to hit a home run using them as the ball.

That's why you are so attached to your baseball cap! A frustrated player!:)

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Nice one! ;) It has never occurred to me. It must be stirring on the subconscious level.
Maybe I want to be a baseball player, I just don´t know it yet.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I've just walked over Arenig Fawr, and they harassed me from the car to within a few hundred feet of the summit, and then latched onto me again on the descent. I must have looked like some kind of crazed fiend who was trying to vogue whilst holding a map in one hand and a trekking pole in the other.

xylaria

That is one nasty looking horse fly, that is not like I have ever seen a good looking one. I normally see the the black and white chequer board type.

Vet grade stockholm tar and veg oil brushed into a horses coat is supposed to keep them off, but it wont come off if the horse needs to win prizes, otherwise I use these people they sell neem oil in 5lt containers http://neatwholesale.co.uk/shop/info_Neem_Virgin_460.html.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Bought some Lifesystems Expedition Plus insect repellent today after using some of the weaker stuff they make this weekend and it wasn't too bad.
Thing is this stuff absolutely reeks like a burnt out car clutch.

I'd rather get malaria.

Mack13

Jul 15, 2013
Wiltshire
When I travelled in SE Asia I spent quite some time in Thailand. They use lemon grass in many of their meals. Whilst my friends ate western type meals I ate only Thai meals. The mosquitoes never bothered me but munched happily on my friends. I found out from the Thai folk that lemon grass is an effective repellent. The mossies didn't bother me because I was literally sweating lemongrass.. I stank of it, even after a shower, but better that than being eaten. They also sold it in spray form as insect repellent. Lemongrass oil is fairly cheap, perhaps you could try making your own.
As for the horse flies, no idea if it would work.. worth a try though. :mosquitos:

ps... lemongrass oil will need to be diluted as neat oil on sensitive skin can burn like merry bloody hell :yikes:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Hey, nice looking ponies there..........they've got the look of the Icelandic ponies about 'em, what breed are they?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE