For a bit of fun

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not sure as ppl seem to say Red I feel it should be British Red. Although interesting I think it would be John Fenna. Purely because I vaguely remember reading his articles on canoeing in the distant past when I first joined my old canoe club and got out trying to drown myself in rivers. I got a little bit obsessed about kayaking and canoeing so read every article I could. JF's articles were good I seem to remember. Can't remember what he wrote about now.

Also I kept seeing the name John Fenna on posts on here and for about a year it annoyed the hell out of me as I was so sure I knew the name. I think I remember him as a writer in other outdoors mags. Was it TGO John? I won't tell you how old (young) I was when I read his articles!!!

I reckon he'd have good paddling tales and I'd like to know his favourite trip (perhaps I'd be inspired to try it out one day).

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to write for Canoeist, TGO, SWAT, SaOT, Combat and Militaria, Country Walking, Trail, Paintball Games, Amateur Photographer, Camping Magazine, Camping and Walking, Paddles, UK blade, plus contributing to many books and having several of my own books published, oh and Pembs life, Carmarthenshire Life, Walking Wales and a whole lot more I have forgotten....
My favourite canoe trip has to be the Orange River along the border of South Africa and Namibia ... though the Spey in Scotland is a close second :)
Not sure as ppl seem to say Red I feel it should be British Red. Although interesting I think it would be John Fenna. Purely because I vaguely remember reading his articles on canoeing in the distant past when I first joined my old canoe club and got out trying to drown myself in rivers. I got a little bit obsessed about kayaking and canoeing so read every article I could. JF's articles were good I seem to remember. Can't remember what he wrote about now.

Also I kept seeing the name John Fenna on posts on here and for about a year it annoyed the hell out of me as I was so sure I knew the name. I think I remember him as a writer in other outdoors mags. Was it TGO John? I won't tell you how old (young) I was when I read his articles!!!

I reckon he'd have good paddling tales and I'd like to know his favourite trip (perhaps I'd be inspired to try it out one day).

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I used to write for Canoeist, TGO, SWAT, SaOT, Combat and Militaria, Country Walking, Trail, Paintball Games, Amateur Photographer, Camping Magazine, Camping and Walking, Paddles, UK blade, plus contributing to many books and having several of my own books published, oh and Pembs life, Carmarthenshire Life, Walking Wales and a whole lot more I have forgotten....
My favourite canoe trip has to be the Orange River along the border of South Africa and Namibia ... though the Spey in Scotland is a close second :)

A kayaing friend did the Orange river. Sounded fun. Spey it a possible for me but would have to hire a canoe. Not paddled for years now and neverr learnt open canoe but would pick it up easily.
It was the Canoeist unless you wrote in the old BCU mag. Also TGO or Trail. You have quite a list of writings there John. Good mix too. how many books do you have out?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
John Fenna, a mine of information to listen to and probably forget after a wee libation or twelve....

good job he does printed material, lol

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A kayaing friend did the Orange river. Sounded fun. Spey it a possible for me but would have to hire a canoe. Not paddled for years now and neverr learnt open canoe but would pick it up easily.
It was the Canoeist unless you wrote in the old BCU mag. Also TGO or Trail. You have quite a list of writings there John. Good mix too. how many books do you have out?

I did have six books out (apart from the ones I only contributed to) that were proffessionally published but only 2 are now in print (Discovering Pembrokeshire by bicycle" and " Longer walks in Pembrokeshire") but also self published 4 or 5 DIY gear and clothing books only one of which I still produce (A basic guide to making your own budget Bushcrafting equipment) and these days apart from a few websites I only write for "Gun Mart" and "Adventure Bike Rider" magazines.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
for me it would have to be big bad Red, and when i get home plan to meet him while on leave, well he did offer to show me his guns, who am i to refuse...:)

see you soon....

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
My choice would be Sniper, cheers John! However, why limit it to just one, the fellowship potential of meeting some of you lot is too important to limit.

I would fancy a meet up with (no particular order):

MartinK9 and "Lars Twodogsen"; in my mind you can't meet one without the other.
nolightweight
TinkyPete
Man of Tanith
lannyman8
Barn Owl
John Fenna

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My choice would be Sniper, cheers John! However, why limit it to just one, the fellowship potential of meeting some of you lot is too important to limit.

I would fancy a meet up with (no particular order):

MartinK9 and "Lars Twodogsen"; in my mind you can't meet one without the other.
nolightweight
TinkyPete
Man of Tanith
lannyman8
Barn Owl
John Fenna
I have met a few of them - most are great blokes ... but avoid the last one!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Too many to pick only one. And: one of the good things about the site is NOT meeting. That way, ideas and views can be exchanged without spoiling any illusions. I have my own mental picture of my favourite contributors and don't want any illusions shattered. For the record, I am svelte, fit, witty and devastatingly handsome!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE