Footprint ID Needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blutack

Nov 21, 2007
Glasgowish
OK guys, whose paws are these then? They look cat-like to me (no exposed claws), but at nearly 2" by 3", they've got me wondering.

The pics were taken this week in a field in Central Scotland.

Cheers!

IMG_5504.jpg

IMG_5506.jpg

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
..... or somebody is roaming our fields at night solely in order to wind me up!! :D

don't take it so personally, it's probably not just you that they're wanting to wind up :)

i don't know about these prints TBH, they do look catlike to me but i don't think they're quite so big as you claim in the OP, not 2"x3"anyway, looking at the photo's and using the scale that you've added in there i'd say these tracks look to be about 1.5"x2.25"....how big do scottish wildcats gets? norwegian forest cat? one of those monsters from maine?

Blutack

Nov 21, 2007
Glasgowish
LOL, I never said it was a big cat, and I'm not aware of any sightings locally. What I meant was that the footprints themselves are definitely real.

I'd have thought that a dog would have left distinct claw marks in the mud, whereas none of the four prints we found had any claws showing.

After a bit of research, my current hunch is that it's a badger that bites its fingernails. Either that, or the claw prints were so far away from the main pads that we didn't associate the two together at the time?

However, I'd very much like to see what the experts on here think!

Edit: Bushwhacker, you got there whilst I was typing. What do you think about the absence of claws though?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
LOL, I never said it was a big cat, and I'm not aware of any sightings locally. What I meant was that the footprints themselves are definitely real.

I'd have thought that a dog would have left distinct claw marks in the mud, whereas none of the four prints we found had any claws showing.

After a bit of research, my current hunch is that it's a badger that bites its fingernails. Either that, or the claw prints were so far away from the main pads that we didn't associate the two together at the time?

However, I'd very much like to see what the experts on here think!

Edit: Bushwhacker, you got there whilst I was typing. What do you think about the absence of claws though?

It's an old track, claw marks sometimes only show as small holes away from the toes, they could easily have been filled over.
Another thing could be that it's been having a good old dig or scrabble around and worn them down some.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Not %100 sure without seeing them in person but I think most likely Badger Rear Right with partial registration over Fore R, there appears to be a fifth digital pad just visible to the left. Probably a large female.
Was there any pathways, fresh holes or any other sign’s of damage in the area?...

There isn’t enough separation between the pads for a large cat and wrong shape for a domestic dog.

.Badger Cat.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE