Foot Powder Recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TrickyT

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2009
UK
After spending 3 days last weekend, my feet this week have been a bit rough. I have some cracking between some of my toes.

I washed my feed each morning and dried them, but might not have done a brilliant job.

I have been recommended to use so foot powder when I have finished drying to ensure they are 100% done. My local chemist only has athletes foot powder which I don't need.

Is ordinary talcum powder ok, or should I use something else?

Many thanks on your advice.

Regards

Trevor

Old trick is a zip lock bag full of powder. Just stick each foot in after washing, waggle about and zip up again ready for reuse.
Sounds like you do need some anti fungal element possibly? Wouldn't hurt anyway. I use non branded anti-fungal / athlete's foot powder myself.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Erm go to the docs and have it checked out. The cracking can and will lead to an infection. Just cleared my daughters feet which took 4 weeks of treatment and that started with just cracking. Athlete's foot powder would help better than bog standard talc or baby powder but still go to a doc

TrickyT

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2009
UK
Thanks for your replies. I have had my feet checked out and that when I was advised to get some foot powder to ensure my feet are 100% dry. I think it was the fact that it was the first time I have worn my boots for over 12 hours per day for 3 days that has caused the issue.

It's not until I noticed the cracks that I realised how important drying your feet was.

May need to invest in some better socks also. Been recommended the 1000 mile socks, are these any good?

Regards

Trevor

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
1000 miles socks are utter carp. I went through two pairs on two 4 mile tabs, standard tabbing pace and fine weather.
Bridgedales are a million times better especially with Bridgedale liners.

MK-MIKE

Dec 2, 2009
Milton Keynes
I use Boots medicated talc. Never had any problems with the talc or my feet after long hikes.

I echo Nat with regards to the Bridgedales. Fantastic socks. I tend to use the Endurance trekker most of the time, but with the weather turning cooler, i'll switch over to the Summit socks with liners. I don't tend to use the liner socks with the trekkers and (touch wood) I haven't had any issues yet.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Excuse the aside folks - when using this type of sock (with liner) do you need to make an allowance on boot size?

Cheers

tel

Not really. If the sock is majorly stupidly thick like a fishermans welly sock, then yes, but Bridgedales and liners aren't that thick together.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE