Food storage for meets.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Rik, I see no reason why not. I have a 3 way fridge and the gas burner has two settings high and low. Even on high the flame is very low and would use very little fuel.
Mind cant get my head around that you boil a liquid to produce a cold fridge!
Dave

Rather than thinking of heating the liquid think in term sof increasing its pressure by heating - then when you let the liquid escape (lose pressure) it cools just like gas out of a cannister.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I have found (from experimentation so take it as you will) that fresh, free range eggs keep for about 3 weeks from the date of laying, if they are kept in a dark place that is reasonably cool, not necessarily in the fridge. If you are unsure about the egg you want to eat, and don't want to risk opening it to see if it's bad, then fill a cup/jug/bowl with water, make sure that the level of the water is at least twice as deep as the egg and then put the egg into the water...
If it floats, chuck it.
If it sits on it's end, eat it asap.
If it just sinks and sits there, it's still fresh

If you need cold(ish) storage - dig a hole and line with wet rocks - bottom, sides and top. Of course you have to make sure you put the food in a waterproof package. Once it dries out, wet it again. The evaporation will keep a steady temperature. It's obviously not a real fridge, but it will give you an extra day or two.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
When trekking in Nature, I used to pack salted and dried and salted and smoked meat. Not much, just for a snack.

When touring Europe with a car and tent, I just bought what I needed locally. More fun that way!

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As has been stated, raw eggs will keep very well without refrigeration but are fragile. Hard boiled eggs also keep very as long as the shell's intact but it's easy to miss a crack.

Fresh meat I wouldn't trust without refrigeration (or ice) here for more than an hour. Salted, cured, or vacuum packed processed meats such as summer sausage are another matter altogether and will keep for months if the vacuum seals intact. Fresh milk is a no-go unless I have ice, it'll sour within an hour. Canned or boxed milk is fine though.

Cheese will also grow moldy within a day or two here without refrigeration but usually remains safe if you just cut said mold off before eating.

Road trips aren't a problem though because I almost always have an ice chest if only for my ice water and meds.

Last edited:

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
I've read in a few different places that if you oil eggs with food grade mineral oil (or any food oil I guess) the eggs can keep fresh for up to a year. Apparently it replaces the natural oils present when the egg is laid. Haven't tried it yet though.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Eggs used to be preserved in a Sodium Silicate solution. My mom used to do that.
The principle is that the pores in the shell are blocked, so the egg can not dry out, or oxygen get in and spoil it.
I am not so sure oil will work. If it does not block all pores it will spoil.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Our eggs keep well anyway Janne; it's illegal to sell washed eggs in the UK, while in America it's not allowed to sell unwashed ones….that leaves the shells more porous and they need chilled, etc.,

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The US eggs we buy here keep for a week or so outside the fridge. We keep them outside, but buy new once a week, as we consume them, so I do not know how long they actually eill keep.
But if you immerse them in Sodium S. they will keep in room temperature over a year.

At the end of that time they are not so nice to eat, but perfectly ok for baking.
I have eaten these eggs as a child, but do not remember the taste.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Old eggs, stored no more elaborately than sat in a box of silver sand to stop them rolling, in an open top wooden box sat on a workbench in a shed/barn next door to my aviaries/bird houses, subject to often very large variations of temperature.....these eggs are 'saved' when I find them laying on the flight floors or behind a water pot and I have no idea of the exact date of laying. they are not cleaned or intended for actual use they just come in handy on occasion if I have a bird go 'Broody' (Quail especially are not good sitters and if they do go broody rather than waste good eggs I use these old ones for them to 'practice' with) on more than one occasion I have been surprised not only by the fact that the Quail hen has actually sat full term but even more surprised to see that eggs often SEVERAL MONTHS old have actually hatched and produced perfectly healthy young. The natural oils etc. are incredible when it comes to preserving the eggs.

I have on occasion when I carried fresh eggs whilst out and about stored them in a container holding my bannock mix, I believe the old time explorers/pioneers stored them in their salt and flour containers as protection (I admit I do wipe the shells before storing them in bannock mix, I am guessing it might not be as important if stored in salt)

D.B.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I got a new Igloo Marine coolbox for a weekend at the Scone Game Fair (aim was more cold drinks but certainly kept bacon & hotdogs and a tub of spreadable butter nice and cold too).

It was about £45 and had impressive performance, I put 6 bags of ice in on the Thursday night & still had ice on the Tuesday afternoon when I got round to emptying it. It had been kept under a poncho liner in the car, but left outside where it got direct sun Monday/Tuesday morning. Great for a weekend away.

$_35.JPG

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Our eggs keep well anyway Janne; it's illegal to sell washed eggs in the UK, while in America it's not allowed to sell unwashed ones….that leaves the shells more porous and they need chilled, etc.,

M

Even our washed (bleached actually) eggs keep a week or two with no problems; even in the Florida heat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I admit that I don't like egg, so a box bought here will often last several months before they're used up and I honestly do not ever remember having a rotten one.

I didn't know your eggs were bleached. Funny how different countries have such different practices over such a commonplace item.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE