food shortage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adderrustler

Aug 27, 2007
bridgewater
Food supplty is getting scarce prices if you believe the hype are going to rise by 30-40% in the next 8 months hat are you going to do and how bad is it really going to get no wonder celebrity chefs are starting to get people interested in offal again maybe they know something we dont

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ah - another man of my kidney!
Have a heart - its offally good and thats not tripe as I liver - n die!
If I give tongue to any more of this cheek will someone lose their spleen?:ban:
Lights out now!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Food supplty is getting scarce prices if you believe the hype are going to rise by 30-40% in the next 8 months hat are you going to do and how bad is it really going to get no wonder celebrity chefs are starting to get people interested in offal again maybe they know something we dont

There there, take deep breaths, slow down, calm yourself...and take time to type in full sentences :D

For one of the richest, and most wasteful, not to mention obese, countries in the world, I hardly think this is going to be a real problem. How much you spend on food is very much down to personal choice and disipline and I can't help but think that the people who will be hurt most are those who don't or won't cook and eat lots of processed and packaged meals.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
A "food shortage" crisis is on the way, but it is a "manufactured" or contrived crisis.

For the past several decades, a number of large multi-national corporations have been buying out smaller independant companies throughout the food storage/processing/distribution/retail system. Once they reach a high enough level of "ownership", they will do to food what has been done to oil production. Once they control the "market", they will start raising prices and generating shortages to justify raising them even higher.

We've already seen parts of it happening. Just look at all the "hype" lately about coming food shortages because some grain is being used to produce fuel. There is no world-wide shortage, but the ... perception ... of one has been created, and prices for grain are climbing rapidly.

We have plenty of food. The only "crisis" is in distribution of that food, and "who" makes the most money off of it.

Right now, there are 5 multi-national companies that control over 95% of all the grain bought/sold throughout the world. 5 companies! All that grain goes through their hands at some point. When they decide to make more money, they will start manipulating the markets to drive up the prices - just as those "energy" companies have done. They set the example, and now others are going to follow their "business processes".

No, those big corporations are not buying up farm land. That's the one part of the whole Food system that has the highest expenses and least amount of profit (if any). The real money is made by everything in between the farmer/producer and the consumer - from trucking to processing to storage to retail.

Use of the organ meat of animals has always been done. And it makes good economical sense. Those celebrity chefs are just doing it for the "shock" appeal and tv ratings. It's the new unique "fad" thing to do.

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
At the same time, reserves of cereals are severely depleted, FAO records show. World wheat stores declined 11 percent this year, to the lowest level since 1980. That corresponds to 12 weeks of the world's total consumption - much less than the average of 18 weeks consumption in storage during the period 2000-2005. There are only 8 weeks of corn left, down from 11 weeks in the earlier period.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/12/17/europe/food.php

The UK is incapable of feeding itself, and it is getting worse, as fuel prices rise it will be more expensive to get the food here from other countries as well.

Allotment thefts are on the increase as people find it harder to meet both food and fuel costs, and a lot need their vehicles to get to work:rolleyes:

Hopefully people will wake up soon and realise that things are going to change and not immediately for the better, perhaps we might start turning off the heating and wearing more when at home and some may even turn their gardens over to growing a few vegetables to stem the flow of outgoing funds:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE