Food Service Charges

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I just want the price on the menu to cover it all and then it's up to the restaurant/café to sort out their internal finances. And of course, everyone should be paid a decent salary.

Reactions: Toddy

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I just want the price on the menu to cover it all and then it's up to the restaurant/café to sort out their internal finances. And of course, everyone should be paid a decent salary.
So for the price on the menu to cover it all they just need to hide the service charge by putting all the prices up by 12.5%.
Except that then there would be a big loophole for unscrupulous businesses to pocket the tips money.
I don’t think there is a solution until our society gets over its obsession with ever cheaper food.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I don’t think there is a solution until our society gets over its obsession with ever cheaper food.

Would you say that THAT is a thing in the industry? I'm asking as you work in your business and know the costings.
I guess Cheap is fairly subjective as a term however.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think that I'm a big tipper. I appreciate the food and equally, the quality service.
For full meals mind, you. Not a snack sort of thing.
The serving staff know what I want when they see me come in the door.
I email ahead, right down to the pizza toppings if that's what I'm inclined to eat that night.

Usually, I bring 4-5 different salts and 2 of my own plates. One for me and one for staff.
Little levity and entertainment.

I'd decline to pay a "Service Charge." I set the tone. I set the amount of gratuity.
I'm not to be told how much that needs to be.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
So for the price on the menu to cover it all they just need to hide the service charge by putting all the prices up by 12.5%.
Except that then there would be a big loophole for unscrupulous businesses to pocket the tips money.
Yeah, the prices would be higher, but that money should go to cover the higher salaries. No tips to pocket. But if I end up paying it either way, I'd rather have it baked into the price up front. Just like I want VAT to be included in the price tags on stuff in shops.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Would you say that THAT is a thing in the industry? I'm asking as you work in your business and know the costings.
I guess Cheap is fairly subjective as a term however.
The rush to the bottom for food prices is a huge issue for our society as it will necessarily bring with it a resulting reduction in quality, wages and standards.
Agriculture is the most obvious example, with supermarkets driving milk prices below the cost of production.
A whole cooked chicken can be bought for less than a fiver in the shops but the meat tastes of nothing except the added brines & flavourings : BBQ chicken that’s never seen a BBQ, Chinese chicken?
Agricultural workers and indeed food industry workers generally, are often paid less than the minimum wage to keep prices down. Production density has never been higher and yet taste is not as good.
Bread is frequently sold below cost of production to get shoppers in to buy more profitable lines.
Consumers have got used to ever-lower prices on foods and seem to be fine with the loss of quality.
One last example. The price of fresh salmon has come down so much that it is no longer a treat due to the intensive farming of fish. It’s only when you taste a line caught wild salmon that you realise the sacrifice we pay for cheapness and convenience. It’s almost like a different species!
Once we are thoroughly divorced from Europe I expect this situation to get worse so foraging, hunting, fishing etc will become the most valuable skills of all.
Ok. Rant over.
Simon

• Love
Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE