Food Safe Lubricant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Best thing to do is for all of us to destroy carbon blades and use stainless steel blades in case someone is allergic to any oil someone may have used.

I like the way carbo steel handles but you definitely have a point.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
On our carbon steel kitchen knives I use what ever cooking oil is to hand on the handle and blade then rub off the excess with a paper towel. Never noticed any oil going rancid. Good point about peanut oil, allergies are worth taking seriously.

Woz888

Aug 17, 2010
Downunder
Like dj77, I use Camellia oil on my "food" blades, in fact, all my blades, to avoid any contamination from petro chemicals. Makes a very good, although expensive, furniture polish as well.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've been using grape seed oil as we had a bottle left in the cupboard unused. It's interesting stuff - doesn't seem to go rancid but dries leaving a "tacky" protective residue.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
On our carbon steel kitchen knives I use what ever cooking oil is to hand on the handle and blade then rub off the excess with a paper towel. Never noticed any oil going rancid. Good point about peanut oil, allergies are worth taking seriously.

Yeah. I always used to kinda scoff at them as imagined. Then one night we had to rush a cousin to the Emergency Room after eating at a local fish camp. They fry in peanut oil and the swelling was closing off her windpipe.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
No mate, serious, health and shaftyou regulations and all that. Not worth the risk that someone with nut allergy also has a phobia for licking carbon steel blades:yikes:

Anyone licking my knives would probably have a death-wish anyway..... nobody touches my knives!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE