Food Safe Lubricant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I've been searching around for a while now but can't really find anything that shouts out as being a well respected and commonly used food safe lube for blades that lots of people like.

So I'm asking you guys this, what do you use to lube your blades that you are going to be using for food prep as well as other tasks? I'm aware of vegetable oil but I'm sure there must be others.. Ideally I'm looking for a bottle form and not an aerosol spray.

I can't believe there isn't a thread on this subject in existence so please redirect me if I've missed it.

Hope you can help,

Cheers.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I prefer stainless steel blades but have a couple of carbon. Lard will do the job but veg oil of any kind will do the job.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Some olive oils spoil and can be pretty horrible, others are OK.

I don't know which brands are OK, and I always have walnut oil in for the butchers block, so...

Ikea were selling small bottles of butchers block Walnut oil for about a pound a few weeks ago, so I am told. One of my mates came back with half a dozen bottles and a stupid grin (probably been drinking the stuff) :)

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Some olive oils spoil and can be pretty horrible, others are OK.

I don't know which brands are OK, and I always have walnut oil in for the butchers block, so...

Ikea were selling small bottles of butchers block Walnut oil for about a pound a few weeks ago, so I am told. One of my mates came back with half a dozen bottles and a stupid grin (probably been drinking the stuff) :)

Peanut or walnut oil - either can be used on a butchers block and I use a small amount of any carbon blade that is going to be used for food prep

Thanks guys, so any opinions on which one - peanut or walnut - in particular is better / worse? I will definitely pick up myself some.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I use peanut oil for quenching blades and I use it to protect them in food safe environments because I have it on hand and it doesn't spoil.

As mentioned previously, Walnut oil is also food safe and I have it on hand for my butchers blocks.

I've noticed no difference between the two in use - neither spoils or turns icky, they are inexpensive to buy and if you are only using it to lightly oil carbon knife blades a small bottle of either will last you years.

I've never looked for a small amount of peanut oil (I buy it by the gallon (or the modern equivalent thereof) :rolleyes:) but I do know a small bottle of Walnut oil is readily available from many retail outlets.

Many health food shops, some supermarkets and anywhere that sells kitchen ware will carry one or more food safe mineral oils.

I like olive oil wiped on a blade for when I'm preparing food (really helps things along when doing sushi, for example) but since some olive oils spoil and I can't be chuffed to experiment I stick with what I know works every time.

A lot of folks like pure almond oil. Whatever works combined with whatever you can get. I've found suitable stuff in Tesco, Sainsbury's, M&S, Harvey Nicks, IKEA, a local health food place and so on.

Even if a small bottle costs you a few quid its going to last you donkeys years.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I use peanut oil for quenching blades and I use it to protect them in food safe environments because I have it on hand and it doesn't spoil.

As mentioned previously, Walnut oil is also food safe and I have it on hand for my butchers blocks.

I've noticed no difference between the two in use - neither spoils or turns icky, they are inexpensive to buy and if you are only using it to lightly oil carbon knife blades a small bottle of either will last you years.

I've never looked for a small amount of peanut oil (I buy it by the gallon (or the modern equivalent thereof) :rolleyes:) but I do know a small bottle of Walnut oil is readily available from many retail outlets.

Many health food shops, some supermarkets and anywhere that sells kitchen ware will carry one or more food safe mineral oils.

I like olive oil wiped on a blade for when I'm preparing food (really helps things along when doing sushi, for example) but since some olive oils spoil and I can't be chuffed to experiment I stick with what I know works every time.

A lot of folks like pure almond oil. Whatever works combined with whatever you can get. I've found suitable stuff in Tesco, Sainsbury's, M&S, Harvey Nicks, IKEA, a local health food place and so on.

Even if a small bottle costs you a few quid its going to last you donkeys years.

Thanks a lot mate, appreciate your advice.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Peanut oil is "food safe" but be mindful if your prepping food to share with anyone who might be allergic. Schools over here generally aren't allowed to serve peanut-butter or use any other peanut product for that reason.

dj77

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2010
South West, UK
I did a bit of research on this myself as i found my carbon Joker blade tainted the taste of apples. Camellia oil is considered to be one of the better oils for protecting high carbon blades http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_seed_oil. It is quite expensive but you only need a small bottle as it goes a long way. They say Samurai warriors use it on their swords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Peanut oil is "food safe" but be mindful if your prepping food to share with anyone who might be allergic. Schools over here generally aren't allowed to serve peanut-butter or use any other peanut product for that reason.

Best thing to do is for all of us to destroy carbon blades and use stainless steel blades in case someone is allergic to any oil someone may have used.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
TBH I just wash and dry them and they seem fine to me.They get a patina and then they don't rust.
If you want a showpiece blade ,don't use it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
TBH I just wash and dry them and they seem fine to me.They get a patina and then they don't rust.
If you want a showpiece blade ,don't use it.

Actually this is all I usually do also. It shouldn't be a problem unless you store your blades wet or store them away for long periods without using them.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In the Middle Ages they used to pour milk over their iron and steel to keep it from rusting. I suppose the milk fat soaked in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE