Food for a short stay

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
I'm planning to go off wild camping soon-ish. And this will be my first time wild. :)

Advice of what food to take with me would be fantastic, e.g. tins (of beans for example), packets of pasta, rice, veg ...etc etc.

Much appreciated.
Dan

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Are you walking and carrying your stuff? If so, tins will be really heavy. When I head for the hills for a few days I bring lots of cous cous and porridge and stuff like that - loads of carbohydrate and all you need is to add water (and whatever else you can find). Dehydrated stuff is usually lighter but can get a bit samey. Foil sealed stuff (cheaper from the supermarket than the outdoor shops) is always good to add to the carbs and doesn't take much cooking.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The weight of a couple of cans won't kill you. Things like 5 minute pasta in cheese sauce, tinned tuna, tinned corned beef, make up a mix of muesli/dried milk/sugar take a couple of bananas to add; take whatever you fancy really. Vacuum packed bacon is a good option, tin of all day breakfast is another.

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
For upto an extended weekend as sayed you can bring pretty much anything without having to worrie about weight, but it is also a mather on conveincy will you have time and gear to prepare and cock a meal from scrathc? and now as it gets warmer in weather also conservation, as with anything its most often a comprimise to fit the situation, anyhow.

Oatmeal cocked with water, mixed with salt and dried berries, great for breakfast, the berries can also be used for snacks. I also found dried apple and pear to be very good in purage, some things just dont "desolve" to the "right" consistensy in the time it takes to make the porage. The oatmeal porage also make a great base for mixing with other wild ingredients like stinging nettle making it more of an all day porage, the berries though is best dried if you add them right away, if fresh put on top when eating, for more hard vegies boil first and then poor in oatmeal afterwards using same water and cock to porage. I always carry oatmeal for breakfast to ensure one meal to get me to the next and besides always carry a reserve stock of oatmeal, half a portion per day.

I always top off breakfast with a "glas" of fruit in juice to give a fresh kick after all that coffie and oatmeal :) or else atleast some fresh fruit.

Biscout like bread with diffrent spread, home made mamelade is good, spread chease, smoked hand sasauges is all good for lunch.

For supper i prefere grilling meat and vegies.

Freeze your "fresh" meat it will also keep your other food cold.

Last edited:

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
Great info. I am planning on driving to a site, so weight isn't going to be an issue.
Just thought I would ask for the advice of more experienced campers, and to get an idea of what to take.
And again, I'm not dissappointed :).

Thanks, Dan

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
I second the porridge idea. At home I usually just add a few raisins and cook with water. Maybe also a spoonful of coffee creamer or jam, but the raisins add enough sweetness.

Also second the salami type sausages. Perfect for travel. Had one with me on a two week trip round Europe. I was living from the car with no problems of it going off. Used for frying, it gives enough 'fat' to cook eggs with - assuming you take any. Eggs - now there's a simple food in its own container. 8]

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
If driving, the world is your oyster. Take whatever you want, just ask "How do I intend to cook it all?"

If you can have an open fire, take a griddle - they are so versatile as you can cook meat, eggs, veggies etc on them.

If you are constrained to a single burner stove think about 1 pot meals - curries, stews, etc.

These days I aim for an open fire wherever possible and would have a variety of meals cooked over it. It also means I always have hot water for washing and brewing up.

Breakfast - Full cooked (on the griddle) with coffee & fruit juice
Lunch - I don't tend to bother - just snack on oaty bars as I'm generally busy.
Dinner - Meat cooked on the griddle with potatoes and veg & fresh bannock
Supper - kebabs (spicy sausage / peppers / onions / tomatoes / mushrooms)

HTH,

Simon

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Why not just put your own home made food in them then? Its not the tincan that weighs its the water. I think you are better off keeping it safe in the tincan, can also be used for loads of stuff afterwards and can be crunched tiny when its time is up.

Agree there 100% I just cannot understand why you would open up a sealed can to repack the contents and leave yourself open to possible infection. Stick to cans of meat, pate and fish etc and you can always take dried veg to save weight or rely on pasta and rice to fill you out with bulk. As for boil in the bag why not just wash your pan?

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
pataks vindaloo paste a carton of passata to thin it a little onions peppers meat of your choice and rice or naan bread always a winner ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE