Food dehydrator vegetation ideas ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
So far is strawberries, apples, banana, onions and sweet potatoes. All just sliced then no waste and dried. Great for snacking on the way commuting to work.

Just put on another batch. Onions and veg top trays fruit below.

It’s the concentration of flavours that’s good. Onions are amazing, they shrink right down but I fortify pasta or pizza with them.

Need to try fruit leathers next.

There’s a Food Warehouse on the way to my school so stock up on big bags on offer there.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Scots_Charles_River

Pears make superb fruit leather. It's almost as sweet and chewy as toffee :)

If you manage to get hold of a bag of reduced price ones, they're ideal because they're usually very ripe. Best kind to use and at a bargain price :)

Making fruit leather is also a good way to use up the skins and the core from apples and pears. Just gently poach them until they're soft enough to mash down through a sieve and use that to make the leather. It won't all go through the sieve but that means you don't need to fuss cutting out the cores at all. Just take out the wee flower ends first so there are no black specks.
When I'm batch drying apples and pears I save up the skins, etc., for two or three days and poach them together. The pulp that comes through the sieve is excellent for making canned apple spread too. Just jar it and pop it into the pressure cooker. Bring it up to full three rings, turn off the heat and let it settle down. Remove and cool. Doesn't need any extra sugar added.
Lovely stuff :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'd rather eat fruit than chocolate and sweeties. True that; I've only just finished the last of my Christmas chocolates :rolleyes2: and I haven't even started on my Easter ones, but I've eaten an awful lot of fruit :D

The dehydrator adds a whole new dimesion to fruit, it really does. Makes it easy to keep, to carry, etc.,

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE