Following the Rhine, Help needed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Guys,
later this year (June), we have to go to Italy for my Brothers wedding. On the way back we've decided to take a bit of a road trip, via the Dolomites and then follow the Rhine from Lake Constance (or maybe a bit before) all the way to the Hook of Holland. We're looking at taking 10 days for the return trip.
Does anybody have any good suggestions for nice (i.e., non eurocamp style) campsites along the way or must see places to visit.
We will be camping, but beyond that we're pretty relaxed where we go and what we see (as long as i can get some decent Mosel /Baden Wurttemburg wine on the way, lol!)

Cheers for suggestions

Baggins

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up baggins,

I used to live in Germany not too far from the Rhein and spent a lot of my time traveling alongside it to and from Austria.

The Rhein North of Bonn becomes more commercial/industrial but Cologne (Koeln) cathedral is nice if architecture is your thing.

Personally I found the area between Bonn and Koblenz the most scenic and the area to the West of this taking in the Mosel and the Ahr.

If it suits, you could push even slightly further West into the Eiffel region (nice walking).

Have a look at the Julia Bradbury walking series of vids - if I recall correctly she did a couple along the Rhein and they will give you a good idea of where is worth heading.

BTW - if you are into wein it could be worth your while finding out when the weinfest starts later in the year and which villages along the rivers mentioned it hits with the dates - and following it - that is one hell of an 'adventure'!

I can't help you with the campsites - its been a while - perhaps some of BCUKs German members are more up to date?

Have a good time and if you are driving - watch out for those Italians!:lmao:

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
How do you camp, tent, camper? With a camper you have more options than with a tent as wild camping is illegal in Germany. But there should be enough campsites along the way! With a camper you might dind a nice parking spot where it is allowed to stay over night.
I grew up between Bonn and Köln, and Jaeger is right, from Bonn on there is lots of industry, but once you've passed the Ruhrgebiet it gets quieter. I don't know the area very well, but the landscape is flat and the Rhein takes on a very different character. It's quite lovely!
The part between Mainz and Bonn is spectacular, with steep hills, castles, ruins. The road runs right along the river, and so does a train. Which means you get all the scenery while driving, but at night it can be loud.
What kind of activities are you interestd in? Hiking, culture, nature?

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Guys,
Many thanks for the replies. as ours is only going to be a flying visit, we will only be doing gentle walking, some nature watching and sightseeing. We will be tenting, but as its a tentipi, wild camping isn't really an option anyway.
Cheers for the heads up on Julia Bradbury, will have a hunt on amazon.
WEINFEST!!!! Heeheehee! will definitely have a look for dates for that.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I lived in Bad Kreuznach in the Nahe valley very scenic part of Germany, around you have Rudesheim great wine region and loads of small campsites as it is very touristy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE